Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
New Contributor Red_Menace58
New Contributor

The On-Demand Dilemma

Today for the first time I couldn't watch my Hammers run around in ever decreasing circles. Another thread expressed the horror of fans waking up to find the West Ham/Watford and Stoke/Spurs games not in the On-Demand list.

Going through previous discussions here, this wasn't the first time some games haven't made it to the list.

It turns out Optus are only going to have 290 games out of the 380 On-Demand. Even though on their website is this;

"Missed the game? Not a problem. On-demand replays and highlights mean the game kicks off when you want it to."

This statement from Optus is obviously misleading. 

The question is why doesn't Optus have On-Demand for all the games? Could it be;

1. They don't have a contract to all the games for a delayed telecast? Not Likely.

2. Technical issues, not enough hard drives at Optus Sport or the pipe to access the interweby is too small? It's a bit of worry that a telecommunications company could have issues with storage capacity, bandwidth, latency or any technical issue.

Moderator Meg states; 

"It updates each week. We have 290 games to use on demand for the season. We wouldn’t set in games now for the whole season as naturally we would want to be able to ensure we make available games of significance as the rounds progress towards finals.

We will definitely be wanting to make the most of a 290 games tho. Meg"

Meg, the EPL doesn't have finals!

If you can't watch your game live in the wee hours and it's not in the On-Demand list, the only alternative is to get an illegial download.

BTW....Go The Hammers....we have Payet!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
RetiredModerator Toomey
RetiredModerator

Re: The On-Demand Dilemma

You had it right the first time, the rights only allow 290 games to be shown on-demand. The remaining 90 games will be split across all teams as the season progresses.

The games that aren't available on-demand will have replay priority. The West Ham/Watford and Stoke/Spurs games were shown again from 7am today and are repeated again throughout the week.

You can check fixtures via Optus Sport to see which ones will/won't be available on-demand.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor FrankS
Occasional Contributor

I can not for the life of me find the "TV Guide" (or whatever the equivalent is) of the schedule for what will be shown on Optus Sport 1. How was I to reasonable find out that Stoke v Spurs would be on at 7AM??

RetiredModerator Toomey
RetiredModerator

Another issue I'm fighting to get fixed. The schedule is only available via Yes TV EPG. I'm trying to get a schedule published on Yes Crowd but because it changes we're trying to implement a work around so it auto updates when the Yes TV EPG does. Hopefully this is something we can have available soon.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor Red_Menace58
New Contributor

Big thank you Toomey for replying. Maybe Optus needs better contract negiotiating skills, surely you don't pay millions and then can't have access to show all games on demand.

What's done is done.

A solution would be to put up on your EPL site what games are to be on demand and a programme guide for Optus Sport 1. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor DanSaulKnight
Occasional Contributor

"Another issue I'm fighting to get fixed" - why is a Moderator on the feedback forums fighting internally to get Optus to post a TV Guide online. Every TV channel has an online guide... why would you not...?

That's just Floptus all over...

0 Kudos
New Contributor shubox
New Contributor

This is such terrible news. Signing up and commiting to a 12 month contract purely so I could watch Spurs on demand and finding out I can't watch my team's 4-0 win really, really sucks. And I also cannot find anything like a TV Guide as mentioned by a previous poster, no idea what they're talking about. 

In the Help & Support section under, 'Which Matches Will Not Be Shown On Demand?' we're told:

We are permitted to show 29 matches per club per season on-demand. The selected matches will be available to watch until the next round of matches begin. We'll let you know which matches will be available to watch on-demand on the Optus Sport platform.

You'll let us know.....When? Where?

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hey @shubox, completely get your frustration with the matter but this is something our content team are working on. The feedback has been passed through and we'll have further confirmation as to when an EPG will become available through an avenue other then the Fetch itself very shortly. I do need you to keep in mind that this is a community forum. I've edited the swearing in your post as it goes against our community t's and c's. We want to maintain an environment where everybody can feel comfortable sharing their thoughts and ideas. Dan 

-----------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor SpringwoodSpur
Occasional Contributor

"throughout the week"? Spurs V Stoke is on 5pm Wed only, no other time all week.  But games that are on demand are replayed, why replay on demand games? If you are not going to replay games on Optus Sport 2 - 10, why replay on demand games over and over, when the games that are not on demand could be replayed?

Foxtel does not have the Premier League rights, but can at least watch Spurs V Stoke tonight at 9pm, otherwise on Optus cannot view the game without taking a day off work!

0 Kudos
Top Contributors