Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Tethering Apple TV to iPhone and using the ATV app

Can anyone confirm if I tether my Apple TV 4 to my iPhone and watch games through the ATV app that the data is still unmetered?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Re: Tethering Apple TV to iPhone and using the ATV app

Hey there @rattle111 - if you're tethering from the app it'll be unmetered as long as it's coming from the Optus network 🙂 Hope this helps! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Apple TV requires wifi connection to use airplay feature to connect with any mobile device. Whatever device you are using to operate for wifi will be metered not your device with the Optus free streaming data features.

I've seen many posts from this Optus Yes Crowd forum and other websites stating that when tethering your mobile device (which has the data feature of free streaming Netflix or Spotify); to your Apple TV device that data is unmetered - is simply untrue!!! And misleading!!!!!

We've recently found out the hard way receiving an extra $130 excess charge on top of our normal mobile broadband modem data monthly charge. All from tethering mobile device with Optus featured free streaming Netflix and Spotify.

so my recommendation is not to do it. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Apple TV requires wifi connection to use airplay feature to connect with any mobile device. Whatever device you are using to operate for wifi will be metered not your device with the Optus free streaming data features.

I've seen many posts from this Optus Yes Crowd forum and other websites stating that when tethering your mobile device (which has the data feature of free streaming Netflix or Spotify); to your Apple TV device that data is unmetered - is simply untrue!!! And misleading!!!!!

We've recently found out the hard way receiving an extra $130 excess charge on top of our normal mobile broadband modem data monthly charge. All from tethering mobile device with Optus featured free streaming Netflix and Spotify.

so my recommendation is not to do it.

0 Kudos