Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Optus Sport poor picture quality since Fetch software update

You shouldn't test anything under wifi.

For whatever reason the mini considers the connection as poor and will down grade the PQ as you are getting (so mystery solved)

Plug the mini into a wired connection (instead of the mighty?) Then see what sort of PQ you can get. That should confirm if the issue is reception related.
0 Kudos
timmo64
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Mine is on Ethernet and did try wifi too. no difference

0 Kudos
Soccerooter
Contributor
Contributor

@peterdownload, It's easy for you to say this and that, but it's not you who has to pull out a large heavy entertainment cabinet in one room and disconnect a fetch mighty from a modem and swap everything all around. And why, do you suggest, was everything perfectly fine before Monday, running on wifi for the last couple of years. What do think wifi is for then, if you shouldn't use it?

Without wanting to be rude, for your so called Honoured Contributor label, you have not really been very helpful with your advice. 

"For whatever reason" and "(so mystery solved)" sounds more like patronising arrogance to me.

I do not find this with other contributor's advice.

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

"What do think wifi is for then, if you shouldn't use it"

Not suggesting you don't use wifi (you know that we actually invented it here in Australia?). I'm suggesting that when there's a complex IT issue that needs to be solved then you rule out as many variables as possible. That's diagnosis 101. Wifi is a massive variable that can be good or bad for any number of reasons.

I'd have thought plugging a Fetch mini into an outlet down stairs would be fairly easy but it is just a suggestion. No I don't know your home layout. A polite response might be "Thanks but that's not an option for me."

"And why, do you suggest, was everything perfectly fine before Monday, running on wifi for the last couple of years."

That's what we're trying to work out. If it was just you posting I'd be fairly sure your home setup was the issue. However several other posts do suggest its something on the Optus side. However you've posted that the unit reports "poor reception". Since there hasn't been a flood of posters then it suggests this issue is not universal. Possibly your "poor reception" puts you in a category that some FW change is affecting. Again, just suggestions.

So IMO best thing to do while waiting for Optus to sort things out (if they every do) is try whatever you can on your end. Shifting from wifi to wired might well identify your problem. If you don't find that helpful then keep doing factory resets like Optus are helpfully suggesting.

0 Kudos
Soccerooter
Contributor
Contributor

@peterdownload, ok I hear you. I appreciate your advice and way of putting it much better this time. Thank you. 

Tomorrow I may be less frustrated with the whole situation and try more things, otherwise I have a Fetch Mini that will soon be going back to Optus!

Soccerooter
Contributor
Contributor

Called iiNet yesterday and they said there is no way that they are throttling or shaping my bandwidth, especially as I have unlimited downloads. I also have a 50mbps speed, which generally exceeds that in reality. So no problems with iiNet. That's why I have been with them for 20 years, good service!

So back to Optus. And I wanted to watch the Euro Champions League Final replay this morning but, of course, the issue is still the same awful video quality through their Fetch box, so turned it off again. Now I have to resort to watching on my laptop. Good service, Optus? Not happy Jan!

0 Kudos
Steven_YC

@Soccerooter - Thanks for sharing this with us here.

Given that the case has been raised, I'd have to recommend we wait on Monday for there conclusion of what it could be. The technical team have more of an insight as to what it can/may be and I'm confident we can get to the bottom of this. I do know that there were some customers whom have reported the same thing and we're in discussion with Fetch directly on this matter. Hopefully more news shortly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

timmo64
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

It is definitely Optus, I have a similar speed 54mbps down and use mini fetch box and this happened after update with the speed saying on the fetch box says your "speed to the internet is poor"(54mbps yeah right and on ethernet) but "the health of your Optus tv connection is good".

I know that because live Optus sport runs at 1080p and as a test I loaded the Optus app onto my smart tv also so connected to the same internet point but wifi and ethernet as a trial and the app is perfect on both live and content for Optus. Yes I know its a different platfrom but it does prove its with them.

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Soccerooter, thanks for that. I have to keep reminding myself its very easy for the smile on your face not to translate automatically to the words you are typing (esp. when that person is already in a frustrated mood). Good to be reminded every now and again.

FWIW I'd be surprised if it is an Optus network setting simply because most Sports customers are with Optus and not everyone is experiencing this. If it is a firmware issue then Optus will need to wait for Fetch themselves to figure out the issue and redeploy. Hopefully that is sooner rather than later.
Davja1
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I have the same issue with any Optus Sport on demand on my fetch mini also. It shows everything in poor pixelated quality. I then go to my fetch mighty box try streaming the same game and no issues at all.

Like above I get told to soft / hard factory resets but still doesn't work. Then to be told its my bandwidth which is a joke I run a speed test straight away and guess what I have over 900MB available in bandwith since upgrading my NBN with Optus to 250+ connection. Like yourself I have had this issue since the end of EPL season and since the box update. Seems there latest firmware upgrade has botched something up.... Too afraid now to switch my mighty off in case this has the same issue ahead of the Euro's......