Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
hensler005
New Contributor
New Contributor

Optus Sport Stream Quality

Hi There

Wanted to enquire about why Optus Sport is capped at 720p on Samsung TV, and when this will be increased to 4K, also want to know if there is any way to improve this streaming quality up to 4K, whether via chromecast or another device

Thanks
9 Replies
George_YC

Re: Optus Sport Stream Quality

Hi @hensler005, the Optus Sport stream is currently brought to devices in 720p. If you have a Fetch TV box, the quality can be upscaled to 1080p. 

Optus Sport is delivered using Adaptive Bitrate Streaming technology at a resolution of up to 720p. Optus Sport will work best when you have internet bandwidth of 3Mbps or greater (7Mbps or greater for 2nd Generation Fetch boxes). Note that the use of other internet applications on the same internet connection at the same time may cause a degradation in video quality. Streaming quality is dependent on your device and service provider and on the speed of your internet connection.

Not to worry, I have also marked your message as feedback for the relevant teams to review. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

hensler005
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks George

Is there any plans at this stage to up that on Samsung TV’s or other devices to 1080p or even 4K in the next year?
George_YC

I'm not to sure @hensler005 on future plans. We are always looking for ways to better improve our service to customers and I've raised this as feedback to the relevant teams for you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

Diego4ree
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I would hope so, it’s 2021 ! Can’t believe we’re still watching Premier League and the biggest football tournaments in the world in 720p and low frame rates !
0 Kudos
Antonino
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

We’ve been asking for something better than 720p since 2016. 5 years ago…. Feedback is always taken but nothing happens. It’s not about customer satisfaction it is about owning the rights and making money. Which is fine, why else would they want to own the rights. It’s just disappointing for real Football fans watching Football in 720p in 2021. We should be watching 4K in 2021. I’m curious to see how Stan can handle the Champions League now that they own the rights. Surely they can deliver it to us in 1080p. And if they can, hopefully they can get the rights from Optus for the EPL and deliver it how it’s meant to be watched.
Jono_YC

Hi @Antonino at this stage, Optus Sport does not have any plans to offer 4K, however we are continually assessing our product mix, and 4K broadcast is certainly one of the things we regularly discuss.

0 Kudos
Diego4ree
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Agree with everything you have said! Go watch the champions cup game between Chelsea and Villarreal on Stan, perfect 1080HD on any device. You don’t need a stupid fetch box just to be able get half decent quality, their replays and mini matches are also in the same quality their live content is in unlike Optus which provide extremely poor replays, highlites and mini matches. I really really hope Stan or a serious provider win the rights next year
0 Kudos
veleskirobert
New Contributor
New Contributor

Time for optus to step up and give your paying customers 4k regardless if you have a fetch mighty, mini, Google tv or smart TV app.
It's disappointing pushing us to spend the extra just to watch in 4K when all other streaming apps deliver the service.
Zac1011
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I created a seperate thread with this same issue; I have the fetch mighty box and live matches are crisp clear HD.
However the mini matches and highlights of the same game are clearly lower in quality. An Optus moderator explained how its due to "Video on demand rights restrictions".

Basically something along the lines of the EPL rights restricting the quality Optus can provide users when it comes to VOD content. Never heard of anything like it before, especially as Stan Sport who now have the UCL rights are able to produce highlights and mini matches with HD 1080P quality. 

@Diego4ree 

0 Kudos