cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Nations League - can we get someone who understands matchdays?

Okay, after 3 matchdays in a row of the same problem, it's getting really clear that whoever is in charge of Nations League highlights packages now has no idea how matchdays work.

I used to watch the daily highlights package. For me, it has a decent amount of highlights of each match (weighted towards League A) within a package of roughly an hour.

But now? Now, every second day doesn't HAVE a daily highlights package. It's never made available, and I'm sure it's because someone just does not understand that a "matchday" covers multiple calendar days.

To take the most recent Matchday 5 as an example:

1. There were 9 matches played on Sunday morning. There was a Sunday highlights package put up at 1pm Sunday with highlights of those 9 matches. All good so far.

2. There were 17 matches played on Monday morning. There was a "Monday highlights" package put up at 1pm Sunday. But was it actually Monday highlights? No. It was the highlights package for the entire matchday, with all 26 matches crammed together.

If you'd watched the Sunday highlights already, as I had, then the first things you saw was Portugal v France flashing by for a second time, followed by another 3 League A matches you'd already seen the day before. After that I just gave up. Because this keeps happening. The only way to get the amount of highlights from each match that I wanted was to go and click on each of those 17 matches as separate 3-minute highlights packages. Which. Was. Tedious.

There should have been TWO highlights shows made available on Monday. The true Monday highlights, plus what was labelled as "Monday highlights" which was a wrap-up of the whole of Matchday 5 for those who want that.

And Matchday 3 and Matchday 4 were essentially the same.

What happened on Matchday 3 really showed that this is a stuff-up. When it came to showing upcoming material, all three highlights shows were listed - first day highlights, second day highlights and matchday highlights. But instead of the second day highlights, someone put up a package of Premier League highlights from the previous weekend! And when I pointed out this was clearly wrong, the solution was just to take the matchday highlights (which were originally named correctly) and rename them, and make the other entry disappear. So we went from listing 3 highlights shows as planned, to only having 2.

And what happened on Matchday 4 later in the same week? On the second day... the same stupid Premier League highlights package was uploaded.

This is just hopeless. How is that no-one at Optus Sport knows any more how the competitions that you broadcast actually work? It used to work just fine.  I assume you still manage to understand that a Premier League round might have matches on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday, and separate the daily news from each day from the wrap-up of the whole weekend. So can you please... oh look, if you just Googled "Nations League", or even LOOKED AT YOUR OWN LIST OF MATCHES, and compared it to the highlights packages you're delivering, you'd be able to understand the problem.

Because when the first match of Sunday highlights is Portugal v France AND the first match of "Monday highlights" is Portugal v France, it should be damn obvious that something's wrong.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Nations League - can we get someone who understands matchdays?

Hi @Trevor_M

Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback. 

I have raised this matter for our Production team to review. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

No improvement today. The "Thursday highlights" started with a game from Wednesday.

It was the highlights from Matchday 6. Someone did decide to change the more detailed description to talk about it being Matchweek 6, but that just demonstrates how this work is being done by people who don't actually know the competition. You won't find it being called a "Matchweek" anywhere, not least because there's typically 2 matchdays in the same week (as there were this week, with Matchday 5 on Sunday and Monday, and Matchday 6 on Wednesday and Thursday).

Please, this isn't too hard. All of these programs are made in the UK. I'm not asking you to create content that doesn't exist (I would be EXTREMELY surprised if the UK partners had stopped making the daily highlights show on the 2nd day). I'm just asking you to put up the content that almost certainly exists. The "Production" team doesn't have to produce, they just need to understand the product.

The next matchday is scheduled for June 2022, so after trying through multiple channels to get this sorted for the last couple of months it's become a bit academic. Alternatively, you've got that long to learn how the Nations League works. Feel free for the Production team to contact me if they still don't understand, I've literally been trying to talk to them for weeks, but most of Optus doesn't even know to contact THEM.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

@Trevor_M, thanks again for sharing your detailed feedback.

We've been advised from our Production Team that Optus Sport does not produce the Nations League highlights show. This is all done by UEFA and we take their offering by putting it on our channel which is made available as on-demand content. 

UEFA have recently chosen to only produce two highlights shows per matchweek, both containing all existing games which is why there is no individual matchday program on the second day of each matchweek.

Hope this info helps. Feel free to give us a shout if you have any other questions.

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

@Nard_YCthank you. If Optus Sport support was any good I would have been told that over a month ago. But thank you for telling me that now.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

No worries, @Trevor_M. I'm glad we were able to get this information across to you, apologies for the time it took! 

Let us know if you need a hand in the future.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors