Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Highlighted
New Contributor Raghav123
New Contributor

Having trouble with Optus Sport and Chromecast

I keep getting an error saying "we have detected an unknown error with chromecast..." I use chromecast from my phone to Tv for various things easily without any hitch. It is disappointing that I have to watch the soccer in small screen. Is there a known solution for this?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Having trouble with Optus Sport and Chromecast

Android TV box 4K Kodi 2GB S905. I just tried loading the app on mine. At first I thought it was going to be bandwidth limited, but there is settings on the top left, which allows HD.

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=android%20kodi%20s905&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1&...

Once you put it in HD, you can crash the Optus network. I don't know how long they will allow this, because it will take up all their tower bandwidth.

Highlighted
Crowd Champion Davelew
Crowd Champion

Hi 

If  @10000000000GB doesn't help resolve your issue.

I cast Optus Sports from my android phone using Chromecast without problems.  The only time I have had a similar problem is when trying to cast Geo locked apps from outside Australia.

Do you have a windows laptop or similar to see what happens when you try to cast from the Chrome browser.

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor

I tried unsuccessfully casting from the Optus Sport app on my samsung tablet and Nexus 6p to my android TV. I have no issues with my chromecast surely, as I have no troubles with other apps. I am able to do so from the chrome browser. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Crowd Champion Davelew
Crowd Champion

Hi 

So it sounds like it is the Chromecast, try a factory reset. 

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6254654?hl=en

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Actually, I just noticed that the live stream is poor definition, but the replay videos seem to be good.

On a PC, the live stream is pretty good.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor

Hi David, 

How are you sure it is the chromecast? This is inbuilt chromecast which works fine with other apps and devices. Fails only with optus sport app running on my mobile and tablet. 

10000000gb, I just tried the app on my mobile. It failed with the same message. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

@Raghav123  The app has a few problems. Once a stream has stopped, you can't get another one going, until you quit the app. It also just crashes.  I would totally favour PC viewing 😕

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Crowd Champion Davelew
Crowd Champion

That's interesting it is an inbuilt app. Chromecast use their own DNS addresses,I am wondering if it is using a server outside Australia. Can you try the ABC iPlayer app on your phone and see if you get the same error message. This would show if it is using a server outside Australia.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor

I just tried chromecast from abc iview app from my tablet to TV. it works. 

@10000000000GB I did not realize that optus sport had a web portal, i might have to cast from the browser. I just dont like the fact that something doesnt work. 

thanks,

0 Kudos
Top Contributors