cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question

Yes Crowd will close and be redirected to Help & Support on the 1st November 2021. Thank you to every member who has made this community such a helpful and supportive place for customers and staff to interact to help serve along with improve our products and services. You will be missed.

wasiim
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Data Usage for Tethering EPL stream

Hi there.. I'm having the same issue.. I'm just watching the games on my mobile but this is been added to my data plan.. it went over my 1.5GB monthly allowance last time.. I did phone Customer Services regarding that.. the lady there said it won't be charged but when my bill came up.. it was there.. data plan went over the allowed 1.5GB and I'm now having to pay an extra $10 for watching 2 EPL games on my phone..

0 Kudos
Alex_H
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Re: Data Usage for Tethering EPL stream

Hey @wasiim, I've replied to your previous post 🙂 

0 Kudos
Stewpot
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Data Usage for Tethering EPL stream - not necessarily!

Beware of some very misleading info on here! Data usage via hotspot or tethering may not be free even if you have access to free data. I've had supposedly 'free' data appear in my usage breakdown under the silverlight plugin while watching Premier League and logged in through the firefox browser on Windows 10, and using my mobile hotspot for internet connectivity.

I've just been off the phone to an Optus customer service rep, who has let me know it is only free if you are watching via an App on your tethered/hotspotted device, and seeing as there is no Fox Sports App for Windows 10 that's impossible. Some of the support responses and support pages are very misleading eg. http://www.optus.com.au/shop/support/answer/optus-sport-is-usage-datafree-whilst-tethering-or-using-...

If your device has an OS that supports an App make sure you use the App and not the browser, otherwise watch via an app directly on your (non Android/IOS) phone/device and then mirror to a larger screen (TV, PC etc - there are free apps for mirroring onto a windows PC, although I can't vouch for them). If you're on a windows phone and only have a windows PC/laptop looks like you could be stuffed! Or does someone have any work arounds such as browser settings???

Good on optus for refunding the extra data charges without requiring prompting, but shame about all the misleading info that mislead me when researching what plan and provider to chose.

0 Kudos
Gen_R
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hey Stewpot - thanks for reaching out. I do apologise for any confusion here though. If you're tethering your Mobile to another device to watch the EPL is is not metered against your monthly allowance. If you're looking at the Data Breakdown tab for that will show all data that has been registered on the SIM regardless of whether it's metered or not. For instance if you have TV and Music streaming on your plan and are listening to Spotify and watching Netflix from your device, it'll also show up. Hope this helps. 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Stewpot
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

This response clearly contradicts the replies of moderators earlier in this discussion thread saying terhering should be unmetered. In which case the incorrect, earlier responses should be corrected and/or deleted as they are misleading!

0 Kudos
Stewpot
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Update on my mirroring attempts:

tried an airplay app on my windows laptop and optus sport is 'blocked' (as soon as you play a video it stops mirroring).

Likewise tried the apple digital tv (hdmi) adapter direct to a tv, again the optus sport app 'blocks' the video content.

If you search elsewhere optus moderators do say mirroring from the app is currently not supported. Elsewhere it does say that Airplay to AppleTV is supported, so I would like an answer from the optus tech heads to these questions:

1) if i watch via the optussport app on my iphone (with unmetered epl data) and mirror via airplay to Apple TV using a wireless hotspot from the same iphone, will the data be unmetered/free?

2) if i watch via the optussport app directly on AppleTV 4thgen connected to my iphone (with unmetered epl) via the iphone's wireless hotspot, (using the phone's data) will the data be unmetered/free?

Any users/customers out there tried either of the above? Was it unmetered/free?

0 Kudos
Aman_B

Hey @Stewpot, certainly you can use Airplay and Apple TV to watch Optus sport App. I've replied to your other post as well. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Stewpot
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks but That doesn't answer either question. I am aware that it is possible to use airplay and apple TV to watch, that is why I asked how data is metered when doing either under the specific circumstances mentioned. Please can you get me a response to the questions from the technical support team?

0 Kudos
Esther
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

I've asked for further clarification of this Stewpot and will post back once I hear back! Thanks

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Esther
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Here is the reply to your query @Stewpot

In order to stream from your phone to the Apple TV both devices need to be connected on the same WiFi network. So basically if your home WiFi is on Optus network then it is unmetered but if it is with another provider it will be metered.

As for the second question - if you watch  Optus Sport app on Apple TV via tethering your Optus mobile it will be unmetered.

Let us know if this answers your concerns

0 Kudos