Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
PleaseHelp
New Contributor
New Contributor

Data Usage for Tethering EPL stream

Hi,

If I tether my laptop to my Optus mobile phone and stream the EPL via the Optus sports website, will I be charged for the mobile data usage? Or will it not be counted out of my monthly allowance?

0 Kudos
19 Replies
TeamRanger
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Data Usage for Tethering EPL stream

It should be data free.

0 Kudos
Sam_D
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hey there @PleaseHelp! @TeamRanger is spot on - this should be data free. I'd exercise caution as any other data consumed (software updates etc) will be counted towards your data allowance.

0 Kudos
PleaseHelp
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi,

I thought that would have been the case when I streamed the replay of  Liverpool vs Barcelona game (ICC championship) via Optus sports on my laptop tethered to my phone.

However, after the game I received a notification that i had used up half my data allowance. If it was free this would not have been the case. Attached is the screenshot for data usage attributed to Silverlight (streaming app on the Optus Sports portal).

Can you please confirm that this scenario would be "data free" for the EPL games, but was not for some reason for this ICC game.

Screenshot_20160809-145008.png

0 Kudos
Nghi
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hmm. Certainly should be data free. All ICC/EPL video streaming is data free over Optus SIM or Optus fixed line internet connection. Is your actual usage on the front page of the My Optus App showing as used up that data? Can you private message us your full name, date of birth and Optus phone number? We can take a closer look.

0 Kudos
johnnyred
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

yes all surfing counts bes to go for unlimited

0 Kudos
PleaseHelp
New Contributor
New Contributor

The whole ~2.5gb of silverlight did not appear in the data usage on the front page of My Optus App. However, about 1gb definitely was added. Private message with my details sent.

Screenshot_20160810-085011.png 

0 Kudos
Nghi
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Cheers, I've replied to your private message.

0 Kudos
PleaseHelp
New Contributor
New Contributor

Ok thanks. Seems something else must have used up the data when I had it tethered to my laptop then. Might have to ensure all updates are done prior.

0 Kudos
Nghi
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

That's ok. Glad we could get that cleared up.

0 Kudos