Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Tommo1954
New Contributor
New Contributor

Conistently bad performance on Optus Sports

I've been persisting for a year or so now. It is almost impossible to enjoy the Optus Sport EPL service. Got up to watch the Man U Liverpool game On Demand, Consistent buffering and pixelating. Tried the Mini Match, got the same poor experience. Other streaming services work perfectly (Netflix, Smart TV etc) there is nothing wrong with my internet performance. Another couple of seasons of this! 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Ray_YC
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Conistently bad performance on Optus Sports

Please log a case via the Optus Sport web portal

How to log a case via the Optus Sport website

1. Login to your Optus Sport account
  2. From the menu select the Help & Support option
  3. From the Help & Support menu, click "Log a case"
  4. Leave us with a summary of the issue (you can even attach screenshots if you wish)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Gnoble0909
New Contributor
New Contributor

How is that listed as a solution????
panicp
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Ongoing pathetic, constantly buffering service with a MAXIMUM 720p on Optus sport EPL.

We are being absolutely and utterly stitched. Please email the Premier League and make them aware of the ongoing pathetic lack of service offered by Optus. There is NO WAY Optus should ever be allowed to provide EPL to Australians ever again. Please feel free to copy my letter as a template but edit it as you feel appropriate. This nonsence service cannot continue:

Optus disallow emails but send to info at, and supporters at permierleague dot com

Dear CEO of the Premier League, 

You sold the rights to the English Premier League (EPL) matches in 2015 to Australia sole "broadcaster" Optus. (I use the term “broadcaster” in the loosest possible terms). I used to live in Manchester and am a keen supporter of United, and my only option to watch the EPL is via the Optus streaming service - only available via mobile device/tablet. There is no other direct TV option to watch full matches as you would know.

I live in Perth, Western Australia and I want to make you aware that despite a satellite broadband service at a reasonable speed of 25Mbps (and after much testing and checking ruled out the ISP as a culprit), attempting to stream matches via Optus is appalling. They are simply unwatchable. Buffering takes place every 5-10 seconds or so during a first half, getting marginally better in the 2nd half. I have hours of video footage of my attempts to watch games via their app which highlight just how pathetic this service is.

Like many others, I have contacted Optus on many occasions and tried all their "technical solutions" with no improvement. In addition, this appalling service is broadcast in 720p format MAX. The only other choice is standard definition - which invariably becomes the only format to watch a match that doesn't constantly buffer every few seconds.  Not even in their 3rd season of “broadcast” do they offer Australians the luxury of FHD 1080p. Given most people around the world are now able to access the EPL in a minimum 1080p format and mostly in 4k, sadly, Optus continues to operate a precariously sub-standard infrastructure which patently is unable to cope with even the lowest 720p definition broadcasts and a not-fit-for-purpose help service/forum. I have attempted to have Optus address my concerns directly, I have never received a satisfactory response.

Quite honestly, I and so many other Optus subscribers are completely over this. We cannot properly watch the EPL with any sort of continuity and the Premier League should know that although you might have sold the rights to the highest bidder, when compared to the previous broadcaster Foxtel, Optus are quite frankly an amateur small-player organisation who got lucky despite a knowingly inadequate infrastructure. The PL could and SHOULD have investigated the ability to appropriately deliver the EPL at the time the contract was awarded, but unfortunately, that opportunity has been lost. Might I strongly urge the PL to now fully and comprehensively enact due diligence to the fans who now fund the Optus bid and, thoroughly investigate and report on the service that average Australian EPL fans receive. It is appalling amateurish by any modern standard: perhaps even the briefest glance at their “yescrowd” forum might give the PL a clue about the sheer number of complaints on the Optus forum demonstrating the abject frustration with their service?

The rights may have been decided by a blind bid, but surely the PL should be able to intervene when a bidder cannot deliver even a basic service? A service which has shown NO sign of improvement, whatsoever, over the duration of their contract and which is demonstrably and perpetually poor.

As mentioned above, I have hours of evidence of this amateur service from this season which, if you are interested, i can happily make available to you. I’m sure thousands of other Optus subscribers could do likewise. Now despite the fact many people are jaded and brow-beaten by Optus, I genuinely hope somebody at the Premier League, somebody takes a formal and functional interest in this complaint - because surely the PL has a duty of care over the experience of average punters at the hands of your choice of provider? I would find it breathtaking if the PL was not able to intervene or at least sanction such poor performers with being disallowed from future bidding.

I am happy to offer you formally recorded and dated video recordings of my personal experience. Please contact me regarding this - I will happily demonstrate my experience to you live over zoom.

On behalf of all Australian fans of the EPL currently being mis-served by Optus, I really hope the PL reviews this letter with the gravity that it deserves.

Best wishes,

0 Kudos
panicp
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

How on earth do you have the nerve to say this is "solved"?
Top Contributors