Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
IJD1
New Contributor
New Contributor

Advertisements now in Optus Sport Online

I usually watch on the Fetch box and cannot confirm or deny this applies there, but i have just logged into Optus Sport Online to watch a minimatch, and i was given 2 x 30 sec ads which are not skip-able (even with an adblocker). Appears they have been incorporated into the minimatch video itself. 

So fair enough with a free service like YouTube, but what now Optus expects me to pay a subscription each month and sit through Claratyne, Industry SuperFund, and any other turd they are getting paid to peddle?  

Optus get rid of this garbage. 

The experience is waning for me, and at some point I'll end up deciding to stream illegally like everyone else. I feel it coming. 

P.S. I'm still watching the local aussie crew pre-early match on Saturdays, when we have a perfectly better team available to watch direct from the UK studio... as per last season. You are NOT improving things optus. 

17 Replies
Jono_YC

Re: Advertisements now in Optus Sport Online

Hi @IJD1 thanks to our advertising partners we have been able to bring ever more of the world’s best football to you, get you closer to the game with on the ground coverage, make mini-matches, and fill Optus Sport with great content.

We have been able to keep the monthly subscription the same as when Optus Sport arrived in 2016, yet additional competitions and content partnerships have been added every year and we have worked hard to give you more options for how to watch with apps on more devices.

Rest assured your viewing experience is at the front of our mind, and we will strive to make advertising experiences as unobtrusive and seamless as possible across all Optus Sport apps so that you can keep enjoying the content you love and we can continue to innovate on ways to make Optus Sport even better.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

TheBritishPress
New Contributor
New Contributor

Advertisements are NOT sponsors and I would be happy to petition this. We do not pay subscriptions to see advertisements.

ClementPaul
New Contributor
New Contributor

Yes, I'm experiencing 2 sets of unskippable 2min long ads for a mini match. How can you take a subscription fee and then push completely irrelevant ads forcibly down your users throats. I can understand that you have advertising partners but even a service like youtube(which is FREE!) allows you to skip ads. Making it easy for me to ditch Optus for alternate, less painful service.
Tags (2)
Bikram0500
New Contributor
New Contributor

You are trying to justify the plethora of ads that you guys are running down to the fact that you have added more footballing leagues to your app but didn’t increase the subscription fees...!

Well I didn’t sign up to your app for those additions that you have made, most of them are irreverent to me and I didn’t ask for them...
If there is a minority of viewers that want that drivel, you can offer them a more premium subscription at a higher price.
This way everyone gets what the want..

You can’t just push drivel towards us that we didn’t care for and then make us sit through advertisement marathons that you guys run..
this is some weasel B.s. that you are spouting here mate

Anyways
I am sure I am speaking here on the majority of your customers here...
TheBritishPress
New Contributor
New Contributor

Paid advertisements in paid Subscription

There are now 4 paid advertisements in my paid Subscription of Optus Sport. Optus claims these are their official partners! I now have to pay to watch advertising. I believe this is illegal being I have no choice and no choice was given to me and goes against one of the very principle points of having a paid subscription. Does anyone have any legal information regarding.
We have seen the power of fan based movement this week against large corporate thinking. I’m just saying.
MrMoe
New Contributor
New Contributor

What a joke. We are paying customers and this sends the message that your content is no better than a free app that makes it money through ads.

You already have advertisements in the content anyway.

Not happy. Roll back the change.
Bikram0500
New Contributor
New Contributor

*crickets*

They are a weasel-like organisation, they won’t even address our concerns. Let alone remedy them...
Butch1886
New Contributor
New Contributor

Advertisements during matches is a terrible viewing experience. These are not Euro 2020 sponsors. I hope this does not continue with the premier league season, if so I will cancel my subscription. Poor viewing experience for my subscription
S1000XR
New Contributor
New Contributor

Paying for a service and then getting ads you cannot skip is the worst kind of behaviour in the digital world. I dropped Foxtel for the same reason.
No subscription = put up with as many ads as you can stomach.
Subscription = no non-skippable ads.
As others have said, even youtube allows skipping.
Optus Sport doesnt care about its subscribers, and will suffer the consequences.
Top Contributors