Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Vistaman
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

4k Olympics for those outside 5G coverage areas

Is Optus considering making its 4k stream of the Tokyo Olympics to Fetch customers who reside outside of 5G coverage areas?
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Jack_YC

Re: 4k Olympics for those outside 5G coverage areas

Hey Vistaman, we don't have any plans for the 4K coverage to be available outside of 5G Home Broadband services at this point in time. As per the announcement, this will be  exclusively available to Optus 5G Home customers via Fetch. 

I have however flagged your post as feedback for the relevant teams to review. If you do have any other questions, please let us know. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

Vistaman
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Jack, we have  three 4g accounts and a wireless broadband account but live beyond 5G range for the foreseeable future.

I feel it is an "own goal" if Channel 7 and Optus exclude regional users from 4k coverage of the national  sports event.

At very least  you should explain the underlying reason is (any) 4G network would be unable to deal with a mass spike in demand for 4k.

Whilst it would not benefit me personally unless I connect to the nbn with fibre, allowing regional homes currently connected to fibre landlines to access  4k would go some way to illustrate that Optus and Channel 7  appreciate the appetite for 4K does not stop at metropolitan borders.

Last year  10% of respondents stated they would buy a 4k TV to watch the Olympics, a reasonable number of eyeballs and fetch accounts at the national level. As you know, the majority of new housing estates in rural areas have the benefit of fibre, I could imagine a very positive corporate promotion where Optus encourages  those with5G (or fibre) to host those without.

regards

Mike

0 Kudos
Jack_YC

Thanks again for your feedback @Vistaman. I've also marked your additional comment for review. Whilst I don't have any further updates to have at this point in time, please feel free to reach out if you do have any other queries. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Vistaman wrote:

I feel it is an "own goal" if Channel 7 and Optus exclude regional users from 4k coverage of the national  sports event.

Optus are using the Olympics to drive 5G uptake. They are not excluding regional users deliberately any more then anyone else.

At very least  you should explain the underlying reason is (any) 4G network would be unable to deal with a mass spike in demand for 4k.

If there is an underlying technical reason they are very unlikely to publicly acknowledge that deficiency.

Whilst it would not benefit me personally unless I connect to the nbn with fibre

You wouldn't need NBN fibre just an NBN connection that can sustain 25Mbps (that's what Netflix apparently say is needed for 4K Ultra HD). 

The main reason they wouldn't want to allow any NBN users is because their costs on NBN are much higher then with 4G/5G, and such a large increase in simultaneous data usage would no doubt increase their already high NBN costs, even if they use multicasting.

0 Kudos
Vistaman
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Yes, they are no more responsible than channel 7, but the reality is they are excluding regional users when their is a technical solution using Fetch.
It is no secret that regional 4G towers would cope well with a sudden spike. Of course Optus are using 4k to drive 5G.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

They've been emphatic that that is a no. They will be using 'broadcast' technology built into 5G to enable many people to view the same stream. That's not something they can do to their satisfaction (or at all) over the NBN.
0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@petergdownload wrote:
They've been emphatic that that is a no. 

Actually Optus have stated in an article:

“The Optus NBN has a real mix of technologies, and every one has different performance characteristics,” Dickens explained, adding that he “would love to be able to bring this content to Optus NBN next year” if NBN’s mooted faster services eventuate.

Which implies that it could potentially be available to customers on speed pack 5 or 6. 

That's not something they can do to their satisfaction (or at all) over the NBN.

They first imply its the technology mix that's preventing its use on NBN, which is what you would expect to be their excuse, but then they also say it can be done if they just had much faster speeds available, implying that they need more than 100Mbps to make it work. 

That article was published before the Olympics was delayed to 2021 and speeds packs 5 & 6 were not expected to be available in time. But now that the new speed packs are actually available lets see if it will be offered on any NBN plans at all, but I highly doubt it.

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Its not a question of speed. 4K only needs a 25Mbps connection. More likely total bandband width and the NBN wholesale payment structure.

The one thing we know for sure is that Optus would indeed love to put on the Olympics to as many customers as possible. This issue is technical (or possibly rights related - Mobile streaming is now being sold separately to the main PayTV and FTA rights. Telstra bought the mobile rights to the AFL season for relative peanuts). I would assume Optus has perhaps the 5G streaming rights or something like that?

But I know that 5G has a 'broadcast' technology built in to the protocol. So instead of everyone watching their own 4K stream they are watching an event simultaneously. Means a lot less data needs to fly around the backbone.

Most NBN technology is badly bandwidth constrained and priced to reflect that. I'd suspect that 0ptus either don't want to pay the NBN costs or don't want to deal with the outcry when their NBN 4K channel crashes on day 1 - remember they ended up giving away free football for half a year when their (not even) 1080p broadcast stream proved defunct. That was a major own goal and few blamed the NBN.
0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@petergdownload wrote:
Its not a question of speed.

Clearly I know that, but I was just highlighting the fact that Optus are implying that it is speed by making NBN availability dependant on the introduction of higher speeds from NBN.

This issue is technical

Maybe, but they are implying that its speeds, which we both know is BS.

or possibly rights related

If it was rights related then they would not consider NBN at all, but they would consider it if they got more speed.

But I know that 5G has a 'broadcast' technology built in to the protocol. So instead of everyone watching their own 4K stream they are watching an event simultaneously. Means a lot less data needs to fly around the backbone.

And NBN has multicast, and they've had it for years. The first multicast trials were in 2012. And not just for fixed line as they did Sky Muster trials in 2017.

Most NBN technology is badly bandwidth constrained and priced to reflect that. I'd suspect that 0ptus either don't want to pay the NBN costs

Its that and/or taking the opportunity to push their 5G. 

the outcry when their NBN 4K channel crashes on day 1 - remember they ended up giving away free football for half a year when their (not even) 1080p broadcast stream proved defunct. That was a major own goal and few blamed the NBN.

I'm sure that left a bad taste in their mouths, but if that was the case then they wouldn't have floated the NBN possibility if more speed was available.

So bottom line is that to me it seems that they are putting far to much blame/weight on the NBN's unsuitability rather then the true underlying business considerations that are driving NBN's exclusion.

Top Contributors