Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor TAKKI
New Contributor

Spam and Fraud Calls

I get calls from 22

I get plenty of calls no one is talking

Whats the solution for these when i block they call me from different numbers. I can't change my number because its very old number can you plz help me with these problem thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Spam and Fraud Calls

I am told these computer generated calls (if that's what they are) are very difficult to stop and they are a global problem. I think the best method is just to ignore them or use your own contact list if possible. I was getting hit up with dozens of these calls a day for several months myself however they have since disappeared completely. If possible don't answer the calls as this seems to make matters worse. I would suggest adding your number to the do not call list however I don't think that will do much to stop these sorts of calls.

https://www.donotcall.gov.au/consumers/register-your-numbers/

Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Unfortunately these days the landline is abused. You need to adopt a different approach to protect yourself.

1) Ensure Optus are not publishing your number in the White Pages

2) Register on the DNC register

3) Have Caller ID on your phone

4) Do not answer a number you don't recognise (or that has caller ID blocked)

You should find the problem goes away.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Just received this notification which may be related:

• Some customers are reporting issues with (internationally originating) nuisance calls being received.
  • Latest update is Networks are actively investigating issue, and have identified impacted calls are routing via Telstra network (point code).
  • Networks have escalated to Telstra to request further investigation from their end.
  • Updates will be provided

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

We are aware some customers may be receiving nuisance calls on their Optus mobiles. Optus is looking into this as a priority and hope to have this resolved ASAP.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor Flit
New Contributor

Obviously not a priority is it mate, 3 months later.

I recieve spam calls from overseas numbers and sometimes spoofed aussie mobiles EVERY F*ING DAY.

Is there anything we can expect to be done about this, you guys said it was a telstra issue before have they resolved it? would switching to telstra help? why aren't these obviously fake voip calls being blocked before they even reach us when the inbuilt spam detection already marks a lot as spam as is???? these third party apps do a better job than a multinational company with more than 2 billion in net income, that's a joke.

This is absolutely doing my head in.

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

It was confirmed that it was not due to a fault on the Optus network.

The communication at the time was:

We are aware of the issue and are working to have the identified numbers blocked. However, we are also needing to ensure that we do not block any valid calls from reaching our customers, as the numbers the unwanted calls are coming from are changing.                                          

In the meantime, we ask that you block the number from which you are receiving the unwanted call(s) via your mobile handset to prevent further unwanted calls from that number.

Not good to hear the extent that you are receiving nuisance calls. It can be inconvenient but you do have the option of changing your number.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors