Searching...
Highlighted

Replacement modem sent to disconnecte address as part of a relocation

JayKay72

Relocation booked 24/1/2019.

Confirmation arrives by 7pm that night (texts to tell me all is well and the Yes team are on it).  Warm n fuzzy thinking we may actually get a move going well.

Get to back to Sydney (from SA), plug in the modem - wifi only, no internet.

No probs just call n check on the connection.

Optus - what connection.

Me - this one...the one with these details that you've texted me.

Optus - ok, we'll organise a new connection.  It will be some time in the next 15 business days.

Me - epic fail - try again.  Here's the booking, it's already been over 2 weeks.  Have another go.

Optus - ok, we'll fast track this and get the technician to call you when th connection is made.

2 days later - no calls, no text, no joy and just to add insult to injury, the modem won't do the wifi thing any more.

Off to the local store.

Me - my modem doesn't work.  Do you have a tech bench where I can plug this in and demonstrate that it won't go through it's start-up cycle and reach wi-fi connection status.

Store - no.  We don't have any connections here.

Me - Don't need a connection, just an australian power point so I can demonstrate the boot sequence fails and thereby organise a replacement.

Store - no, we can't do that but here's our phone you can talk to tech support.

Me - (not happy) just give me a replacement and we'll be cool ok.

Store - no, we can't do that, we don't carry spares.

Me - but how do I get a replacement modem.

Store - no dramas, we're happy that the modem's dead, you'll need to phone our company to get a replacement sent out.

Me - holding and waiting in store for 15 minutes.

Guy on phone - but sir if we can't plug in your modem how can we be sure it doesn't work.

Me - I have no connection yet...still waiting on a resolution there, just want the modem replaced - you can't ethernet to it's base address of 192.168.0.1 or connect via usb or wifi.

Me - I think I'll let you speak to your guy here in store as maybe he can explain it better.

Store guy - half an hour later - gets put on to tech support.  Dials another number and tells me to give him the phone when that guy comes on.

After waiting another 1/2 hour (thankfully I brought a book) - the local guy convinces them to send out a replacment modem.

We're good right - hahahahaha....this is Optus....why would they send it to my HOME address when they can send it to the location that they've disconnected in readiness for the relocation to Sydney?

Store guy - ok...I've got you a new modem but you'll have to call them after the connection has been made so they can see your change of address and send the modem to the right house (explanations follow - I lose the will to live over the sheer stupidity of a system that won't let you specify an address of the place where the modem is actually NEEDED).

Me - so without a working modem, how do I know when I'll be connected?

Store guy - should be some time tonight.  Best call tomorrow.

Next day...text - modem shipped.

Phone calls to optus.  Escallations performed.  Address changed.  Modem destination changed (wrong).

Texts from IPEC - Modem delivered (but not signed for...oh no...that's been set to 'no signature required').

So - more phone calls, mobile bill increasing exponentially as I hot-spot waiting for my modem (that will never arrive) because Optus has 'successfully delivered the modem' - TO AN ABANDONED HOUSE WHERE NOBODY LIVES!

More phone-calls, more waiting, solution - Optus will deduct the cost of a modem ($120 from my bill) so I can go and buy a new modem because sending a new one will take 2 days to get to your new address 'which we don't want to do as this will take time'.  IT'S ALREADY BEEN ANOTHER WEEK AND THAT IS ALL I WANTED YOU TO DO IN THE FIRST PLACE...send it to where I live!!

Sigh...not home to receive it, the package cannot be 'left' or it will most deffinately not be 'left' by the time I get home from work how about you do something almost useful like send the replacement to the local store I tried to approach after my first phone-calls failed to achieve anything other than high blood pressure?

Practical solutions for Optus which use the tiniest bit of (un)common sense:

1 - Send connection packs to connection addresses - not disconnection addresses.

2 - Give your No (sorry Yes <- Hah!) stores SPARE PARTS.

3 - Allow customers to nominate a store for pick-up of said spares so they can be collected at non-post-office/Toll-Ipec delivery hours or say somewhere close to work that can be accessed at lunch-time maybe?

4 - Get rid of the off-shore call centre only resolutions and put the power to handle faults back into the hands of your local stores (WHERE IT SHOULD BE)!

Disgusted with the lack of service, the massive wait times (tonight's unresolved effort is currently at 3.5 hours) only to be told that a simple option of sending a modem to my house can't be done without escalating further (to where...Everest?) - all I want is a replacement sent to my HOME address!

Re: Replacement modem sent to disconnecte address as part of a relocation

Jeneral__Pain

You need to remember that most "mobile" stores (Even Telstra, Vodafone are too), they're franchisees not owned/operated stores by the service provider themselves. Even when I worked in a Telstra owned store, we didn't have "hot spares" we could go "oh yeah mate no worries, here have it, no charge sweet as" because everything costs money. 

The stores if they stocked them, would have to pay for them. Hence why technical support have a process of ruling out the modem and if they can't rule it out as faulty, they ship you a replacement one. It sucks that they sent it to the wrong address, but I'd ask "Did they have the "relocation order" in place BEFORE this device became faulty or after?"

If you aren't happy with the service provided, please visit www.optus.com.au/complaints and log a complaint for the Customer Relations Group to investigate your concerns and resolve them (within reason) to your satisfaction.

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.

JayKay72

You've kind of made my point for me...the issue here is that these franchises are considered individual businesses with no power to satisfy customer problems.  What's to stop them holding spares and having a test bench/return authority program? If the parts are faulty (determined by doing some tests in the store) a new one's provided and optus re-supplies/reimburses them. Many other franchises manage this (bunnings, harvey norman, shoe shops, apple to name a few) so why not optus? We're talking common items such as these universal modems here.

The facts are that the store has no test facilities, no inventory and no means to service customers. Hell half the time you can't even buy the products in store in the first plsce at the same price you can if you shop online with Optus (but that's another story). To me that is simply not a good service model.

[ Edited ]
Jeneral__Pain

What you are proposing and comparing apples with oranges isn’t always able to be done.

apple own all the “apple” stores but have authorised repair outlets who can’t always do everything.

A test bench however would require them to hire a technician just for the handful of “faults” you have experienced. That’s a cost of say $60K annually to pay someone full time to be there as a tech. Who pays that cost when customers want more for less? 

Edit: yes Telstra does this, but they also offer “platinum support” which is a paid product which funds the tech. If you come to them with a fault that can’t be replicated on the test bench without “platinum”, you get billed a $29 no fault found fee. 

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.

JayKay72

Not sure who's comparing apples to oranges and nobody was suggesting a 60k employee, just some simple and basic on-the-job training for all employees of the branch (remember training - something new employees used to recieve regarding customer help and the products sold in store...something other than 'if you use our phone here to call support...yada yada'?).

Likewise the test bench could be a simple plug n play machine where Optus supplied devices are plugged in and automatically tested (similar to what the online techs do when they run their tests...but local).  This again would be a simple (and cheap) machine with some basic test software that could be run by any halfway trained individual.

Testing is not rocket surgery, it doesn't require a massive amount of overhead.  It could be as simple as: 

Does the modem light up when you plug in power? No - Broken - arrange a return authority - provide a replacment.

Does the modem's wifi light come on when it's powered up? No ... factory reset the device.

Does the modem's wifi light come on after it has been factory reset? No - Broken - arrange a return authority - provide a replacement.

Again - simple solutions to simple problems but seemingly far beyond the realms of possibility.  We're not looking for a complete solution to everything here but simple and easily provided support.  And spares...do not forget the spares!

If you do not have a solution to the problem, please don't waste more of my time making excuses for lack of service.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
8 Kudos
7 Kudos
5 Kudos
4 Kudos
4 Kudos