cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Optus Webmail Session Timeout's

I don't know what the hell is going on here, but I keep getting session timeout's when using Optus Webmail. I noticed it once a couple of weeks ago and thought it was strange because in all my many yrars with Optus I'd never been timed out of a webmail session. This morning it's happened twice, the second time when I was writing an extensive email and lost everything. What kind of crap is this in this day and age? I understand email timing out when there is no user input, but not when you are acrually typing. That's just down right dumb. At least I have now found the save setiing so when it happens again I should be able to recover my message. I just cant understand why this happens even when the webmail isn't idle. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Optus Webmail Session Timeout's

Hi there symbiot911,

A simple way to overcome any more time-outs, is to create your message in say,

Notepad or your favourite text editor program & then copy & paste the

message into your web mail "Compose" screen.

That way, you've always got the original & can take as long as you like.

Easy peasy. 🙂

Good luck.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Yeah, I've seen that solution before. Nothing against you, but that has got to be the most ridiculous s solution to session timeouts that I've ever heard. Maybe a better solution would be for those idiots at optus to not timeout people when they are writing an email. It's just dumb, but typical of craptus. I simply downloaded Mozilla Thunderbird. I'll use that. Using an editor and copying and pasting is simply archaic. Sorry, I don't mean to sound ungrateful for you solution. It's just that one shouldn't have to worry about such silly stuff in this day and age. I've never once had timeouts up until the last couple of weeks. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

@symbiot911

The session timeout time out is currently set to 5 minutes. 

There's no current save draft built-in, though we do constantly review features.

I can't really say how many resources we have devoted to increasing Optus webmail functionality but I can definitely go ahead and flag this post for feedback. 

For the interim, could you use an email client other than https://webmail.optusnet.com.au i.e. Outlook, iOS mail or Windows Live Mail? 

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/support/answer/using-an-email-application-with-optusnet-email?requestTy...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Session timeouts should be abolished.

When one is writing, coming to the end, press send, and wallah! it says "session timeout" to say it is frustrating is being polite.

This is the digitial age, what is the purpose of the session timeout when one is paying for the email service?

0 Kudos