Searching...
Highlighted

streaming drop outs

rgie

We cannot watch movies through wi fi without getting freezes and drop outs. The program will suddenly stop for around 5 minutes, then resume, then stop again. We have the black optus modem with the dual wavelength, but the problem occurs on both.

The TV is a 4K and only about 6 months old. We get the same result using an ipad and 2 laptops.

There are no problems using my desktop computer which is connected to the optus modem by ethernet.

Our internet connection is through nbn fibre to the node.

We would appreciate any assistance.

Re: streaming drop outs

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

Perhaps get some powerline adapters instead of wifi?

Alternatively the Optus router doesn't have a great reputation for wifi signal strength. Perhaps invest in a better modem? 

Apparently those with a broadcom chipset also handle FTTN better if needed (and give higher FTTN speeds)

Peter Gillespie

rgie

Thanks for the response. I would be happy to buy a better standard modem but we need a landline phone. We have been told that we cannot connect a landline to a non optus modem because optus will not allow it and we are under contract to optus so we cant go to telstra. If that is incorrect, I would appreciate someone letting me know.

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

Its correct Optus don't make public their VOIP codes so you must have the Optus Modem in your network to get a landline phone. 

Any reason the powerline adapters won't suffice?

There's also no reason you can't buy another router (not modem a router) and plug that into your Optus Modem as just another device. You can turn off the Optus Wifi and enable the wifi on the new router and hopefully its much better.

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
51 Kudos
18 Kudos
18 Kudos
16 Kudos
12 Kudos