Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Highlighted
New Contributor Bobby216
New Contributor

not getting free to air channels on fetch TV

just received the box last week and have attempted a few scans but cannot get free to air chnanels, the most would get is ABC and that's it...any ideas to fix it. I have read a few articles where rescanning has worked, but in our case, it is not doing anything, can somebody help or make some suggestions please.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: not getting free to air channels on fetch TV

Safe to assume free to air works fine on your TV or other devices via the same cable from the same socket?

I've ready that most TV's and similar devices have a signal amplifier built in where as Fetch doesn't. As such, people can find the reception isn't as good via the Fetch box compared to the TV. Optus will normally recommend a better antenna cable which can help but I also suggest the external amplifier's that are available from most electronic stores for a pretty low cost (under $10 I think). 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi,

1. Confirm only the Fetch box is plugged into the antenna cable (no splitters or serial chaining to say the TV)

2. As @SamSam says, presumably you can still get channels if you plug the antenna straight into the TV

3. Can you test the Fetch box on another TV in another room?

4. Can you test the Fetch box in a friends house?

Its possible the issue is in your setup / reception, but also possible the fetch tuners are faulty. 

1. Buy and external amplifier like this one (Kingray is a good brand)

2. Ring Optus and request a swap over of the box - its leased so they'll send out a new one and a courier pouch to return this one.

Either option may or may not work.

Regards

Peter Gllespie

Occasional Contributor eeycee
Occasional Contributor

I have the same problem.

The trouble with this answer is that I used to be able to watch TV & it was only toward the end of last year that it stopped working. I'm still wondering what to do about it.

Regards

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Toomey
RetiredModerator

Hey @eeycee, we'll need to raise the issue with our TV & Content team who can investigate and organise additional equipment to improve the FTA signal. Please use this online form to send through your details and someone will follow up asap.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor SCG
Occasional Contributor

None of this worked. Optus says all mighty boxes have the same problem. Time for class action? Or maybe the PM can ring Allen Lew again

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Heads up @SCG, I've replied back to your comment on  thread → https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Broadband-Telephony/Fetch-Box-and-Free-to-Air-Signal/m-p/443556#M52...

--------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor BJB68
New Contributor

I am having the exact same issue. I am on my 2nd box and now have no free to air channels again.  5 phone calls over 2 days, no call backs when promised.  have been told its been a problem for months - why is the service still being sold then??  now have been told to buy a splitter and that will fix it.  how can it??

no refunds, no offer of fixing. nothing.

after being a customer of Optus for over 25 years and spending $400 a month for all my services I am now looking to change carriers for everything.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor SCG
Occasional Contributor

I ended up making a formal complaint to the Telecom Ombudsman who escalated it to Optus. They are going to refund me half the Fetch fees, and waive early termination costs so I can switch providers. I encourage you to do the same. And email CEO: *moderated*. 

0 Kudos
New Contributor BJB68
New Contributor

Thanks. Will take your advice.  A company this size - not ok. But I guess a company this size - what do they care!

0 Kudos
Top Contributors