Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
RetiredModerator Alex_H
RetiredModerator

Re: fetch TV unlock

Hey Skris88,

There's always risks involved with purchasing things online from community based online markets.

It is listed in our T&C's that Yes TV by Fetch is owned by Optus and if unreturned, the user will be charged a fee. Please click HERE and scroll down to view the "IMPORTANT NOTES" section which outlines this. It's the responsibility of the seller, to educate the buyer of things like this; however it seems like you may of been mislead. Cases like this can be reported to eBay as it sounds like the seller may of violated their terms. This can be reported by clicking HERE and then clicking "Contact Us" within the site. 

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Thanks.

The eBay seller has refunded me my payment but is refusing to supply their postal address for me to return the item saying, "Keep It."  Obviously they've paid Optus the non-return penalty.  

So so now I have in my possession stolen goods, ie. other people's (Optus) property.  

I guess I just leave it at my local police station?

Also I think it is unfair of Optus to see these being advertised 2nd hand online and not contact the site owner to remove the ads.

Optus is causing their customers a lot of grief by their negligence on this. 

And while Fetch TV says on their FAQ inside pages (not up front on their sales pages) of their web set not to buy 2nd hand units, the Optus web site appears to be silent on this.  I guess Optus simply doesn't want the units back and are happier charging customers the non return fee!

RetiredModerator Alex_H
RetiredModerator

Hey @skris88 - Glad to hear that you were refunded from the seller for the unit. You're free to use the STB however you like, as the non-return fee would have already been charged to the previous owner. We don't actively monitor online marketplaces for Yes TV by Fetch units, however it's up to the owners of the units to comply with our T&C's and not list them up for sale. We do have return satchels that we send to our customers so they can return the STB once the contract is up/they no longer require it. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor wordsnjourneys
Occasional Contributor

Hi all,

I'm jumping on this feed because I have a similar problem with a locked STB.

To cut a long story short, I'll write in point form.

- In Mar, after one year on the Fetch TV plan, I downgraded my ADSL connection to a $22 phone only plan, while I went overseas for 3 months, with the intention of upgrading to NBN on my return due to poor upload speeds on ADSL.

- I spoke with Customer Retention (have names and employee IDs of the many, many people I've spoken to...) who noted my file that I would phone from the US in June to organise installation of NBN. When I advised I was considering switching providers, I was told that I would not be bound by the new 2-year contract terms of the NBN (my ADSL was non-contract) and that I would be able to keep my Fetch TV box (and the many many hours of TV I'd been recording for a year) to use on my return.

- NBN has since been installed. Works fine.

- I was advised when the box wasn't returned within a month of my downgrade, I would be charged the non-return fee, but this would be credited when I called in to say I was keeping the box. I phoned, was credited the $200 and still have the box.

- Person who made the installation appointment for NBN noted that I had an existing set top box and would not need a new one to be sent out.

- Now, like @skris88, I have a LOCKED set top box with all of MY content unable to be accessed. After at least two hours of phoning various people to get it unlocked (as the error message on screen says to do...), I'm told that when I downgraded my account, the STB was rendered useless.

- To me, this is misleading, and ridiculous - why can't somebody at Optus activate my serial number on the database manually? It's ludicrous and wasteful to send me more technology that I don't want or need, AND against my original wishes when I rang to say I was switching providers.

- Now, I can't watch the content I'd been looking forward to watching when I got home, I have to wait 10 days for a new box to be able to record anything new, and I'm really pretty pissed off about all the bouncing around and miscommunication.

What I would like ?

- SOMEONE PLEASE RE-ACTIVATE MY LEGITIMATELY ACQUIRED SET TOP BOX.

I look forward to hearing from you.

RetiredModerator Nghi
RetiredModerator

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you've been having wordsnjourneys 😞 Has a new box already been ordered for you? It is a limitation of the system that once your account is disconnected then the original box will be disabled and any content on it won't be accessible. It's sad that this wasn't communicated to you at the time of the initial downgrade to phone only. This would have turned off your internet service which would have automatically cancelled your Yes TV by Fetch service.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

I'm sorry, bug do you really feel that telling me "it's sad" that Optus dropped the ball, is an example of good customer service and retention??

This is an Optus branded piece of hardware and software. If you don't have the ability to control access to your own network through your own technology, then who does??

I'm very dissatisfied with this entire experience. 

RetiredModerator Nghi
RetiredModerator

I can totally understand why you're upset with the situation. We partner with Fetch TV to supply this service and integrate within their activation processes. I can pass along feedback about the current process but there are complications with copy protection etc. The box does need to be linked to an active account for it to remain in working order. Once the linked service was cancelled then the box and content became locked and encrypted. This is to prevent any unauthorised copying or transmission or copyrighted content.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi, and thanks for your response, which still falls short of the mark.

Here's what you do:

- Have someone thoroughly review the customer's service history inlcuding all notes on the account and records of contact.

- Apologise to the customer for providing misleading and incorrect information r.e. his Fetch TV service. In this instance, the customer rang Optus to advise he wanted to disconnect his service and switch providers, but was persuaded by Optus to stay, based on upgrading to NBN and keeping his Fetch TV service and BOX with all its recorded content.

- Respect the fact that the customer might have done his own research as to how Fetch TV works, r.e. activations, alternative service providers and encryption.

- Contact Fetch TV (whose activation service you "integrate" with) and provide them the serial number of the Fetch TV box provided legitimately to the customer. Have Fetch TV, re-activate the suspended Fetch TV box which was previously linked to the Optus DSL account under the same customer name and the same service address and link its serial number to the current NBN account.

- Email the customer to apologise for the confusion and time taken to restore his service and notify that this has been done.

In the event that this is not your idea of the kind of response that would inspire customer retention, please do feel free to advise why Optus are unable to perform this simple and logical request, perferably in the words of a senior member of your tech department, or someone from Fetch TV activations and provide a solution which might make the customer happy again.

Occasional Contributor

Hi @Nghi,

Are you just going to ignore my last email?

I received a system generated from Optus today to say that they WILL be delivering a NEW set top box in, wait for it... TEN business days.

None of this is as I requested.

I'd really like to know if you and your team think any of this is satisfactory.

Kind Regards,

Ben.

Occasional Contributor

Hi again,

I've not yet received a response from my last post here. Did you receive it?

My second Fetch Top TV box arrived at the early hour of 8am this morning, so it seems Optus have reached their decision on this one.

That means that not only was I given misleading information, I wasted at least an hour or two setting up series tag recordings before my overseas trip, in addition to the hours I've spent trying to have this matter resolved.

Please send a return post bag for the old box asap, or I will drop the old set top box back into my local Optus store.

If you need any help trying to work out what might be a way to delight this thoroughly unhappy customer, might I suggest you add on a complimentary entertainment TV pack to my subscription, for one year. At $15/month x12, it's still falling short of the $50+/hr I usually charge my clients for my time, and I can assure you I've wasted more than a few hours on this fruitless saga.

Do feel free to contact me by email if you'd prefer this thread was continued in private.

Kind Regards,

Ben.

Top Contributors