Searching...

Why does Spotify streaming eat my data even my Music streaming service is active?

ntru

I have just started my first month with Optus under $30 phone plan. I have Music streaming service active which means Spotify streaming should not consume any data usage. I am using Spotify Premium so there is no ads. 

Just wondering if anyone here has the same issue or just me? Below is a screenshot of data breakdown with Spotify data usage.

Screenshot_20181029-130719.png

Re: Why does Spotify streaming eat my data even my Music streaming service is active?

SamSam

It's confusing but this is a breakdown of the data you used, not what you were charged for. In the Optus app, the first data usage screen you see (the overview) shows you what data you've used AND you're being charged for. Then when you go to the breakdown where it shows the various apps etc, it shows what data each app used but doesn't excluded anything that's not charged (like spotify in your case). 

So long story short, you're likely not being charged data for spotify use it's just the way Optus display it to you.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own

Re: Why does Spotify streaming eat my data even my Music streaming service is active?

ntru

Thanks a lot SamSam. Smiley Happy

Is there a way to check how much payable data I've got left? Or I have to do manual calculation.

SamSam

Yes the overview screen is where it shows how much payable you have left. For me I click on the Optus app > Service and it's the first circle I see with "x% used of 65GB" in the middle. It's when you click on the "data breakdown" button this page that it starts to get messy

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own

ntru

Hi SamSam,

That's not true. The overview circle shows I have used 29% of 15 GB (~4.3 GB). I manually checked the breakdown and here what I found. Browsing took around 1.5 GB which matchs 34.9% of data usage in the breakdown. Similarly, Spotify took ~1.3 GB which also matchs 30% in the breakdown. And when I manually sum up all the data usage (including Spotify) in the breakdown, I got 4.3 GB, which is 29% shown in the overview.

SamSam

oh ok! That might mean there's a problem with your account. Before contacting Optus directly, go to the Optus app > services (down the bottom) > Service Settings (towards the top) > Entertainment and check that the music streaming shows as "active". If it doesn't, activate it and moving forward it should resolve the issue. If it does show as active, you'll need to call or live chat with Optus to sort it out.

p.s. the steps I described above are for an Android phone, it might be a bit different for an iPhone. 

ntru

Thanks SamSam. My Music stream was active before I started using Spotify. Just checked and it still has status as active.

So this is like only me seeing this. I need to contact Optus about this.

petergdownload

Check also that your Spotify usage is in the allowed range (512kbps) - although for sound I can't see many streaming services exceeding that.

Peter Gillespie

Tris

Hi @ntru, the My Optus app will show all usage, including Mobile TV and Music streaming. Billed data will be confirmed when the bill is generated, please let me know if you have any other questions

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

ntru

Thank you Peter. I think that is not the case because maximum Spotify bitrate is 320kps.

Thank you Tris for your confirmation. So my account overview is normal. Look like there is no way to find out how much data I got left without manual calculation. This is so disappointing. 

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
62 Kudos
60 Kudos
21 Kudos
17 Kudos
16 Kudos