cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Why does Spotify streaming eat my data even my Music streaming service is active?

@Tris,

Can you please confirm this, as its a big departure from the general forum understanding of what the app shows? 

Current thinking is as @SamSam mentions. If what you're saying is the case then a customer can watch a bunch of free Netflix content and the app will tell them they've used up all their data for the month? How are customers expected to know when to stop downloading if they can't separate free data from paid data?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Moderator Tris

Re: Why does Spotify streaming eat my data even my Music streaming service is active?

This has always been the case @petergdownload, The My Optus app is inclusive of all your data usage. Usage alerts are a true indication of your billed usage though

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@Tris

That's astonishing. I wonder how I got that so wrong. You're saying Optus provide no simple practical way to track your actual (paying for) data usage? The usage that if you get wrong can result in data usage fines (aka top ups)? Data usage alerts are extremely far and few in between and Optus has yet to get them working consitently accurately after all these years. They're really only present because they are legally mandated but even then 48 hours is still viewed as a reasonable window for updates.

Optus can tell a prepaid customer to the kilobyte and to the minute how much data they have left to use. And yet post paid customers can only get a vague sense of where they stand these days (short of setting up a spread sheet)? That's either a technical deficiency or a deliberate policy approach. Either way, its symptomatic of Optus approach.

Peter Gillespie

Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi everyone,

Thought I’d jump in on this one so I can make sure everyone is on the same page.

So in the Optus App there’s two ways to view the data via the service tab. The circular graph that you’ll see straight away highlights data used for the month and the ‘ data breakdown ‘ button below the graph opens another segment displaying a breakdown for your current bill and daily use.

The ‘Data Breakdown’ page displays your total data usage, inclusive of any eligible data free services (e.g. included music and video streaming services) which you are not charged for. The ‘Service tab’ page on the My Optus App displays the % of data you have used of your allowance and how many GB you have left until your bill reset date.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor ntru
Occasional Contributor

Hi Alistair, 

Could you show how to view the Service tab that shows percentage of allowance data usage? I am using Android.

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@ntru,

Just open the optus app and hit the SERVICE button at the bottom of the screen. That big circle shows you how much PAID for data you have left. 

@AlistarS, Thanks Alistar. That's how I think most of the members thought the main usage screen worked. Essentially it should not change if the user is only streaming free content. Understand @Tris getting this one muddled - I've certainly mixed up my Optus services / offers / plans / policies / screens / etc . more than a few times Smiley Happy

Have a good weekend

Peter Gillespie

Occasional Contributor

Hi Alistair and Peter,

I believe you haven't read (carefully) my previous post (#5). Can you explain those numbers? Apparently, Tris (the other Mod) read and understood what I was saying. That's why he acknowledged the fact.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi @ntru,

Yep we understood that email which is why @SamSam said there's something going wrong given the figures you report.

@Tris response (unintentionally) confused things but @AlistarS is correct in how the Optus App displays total usage (in the breakdown tab) and Non-Free Data Used (in the Service Tab). 

WHat your numbers are basically indicating is that you are not getting free data counted as should be happening. This does happen. Often its because the Free Data has not been turned on for the user (you can do that in the OPtus App or online). It could be a usage behavior that doesn't qualify (e.g. casting to a TV or HD Netflix etc.) Sometimes it will need a mod to fix something on the backend. Or perrhaps your plan doesn't have free data included in the first place? 

If it wasn't said above you should run your own test.

1) Don't use your phone for anything big from 9pm

2) Before bed reset the usage counters on your own phone. 

3) Record the Optus app overall and data breakdown numbers

4) Set your phone to play Spotify (volume off) overnight

5) Wake up and turn off Spotify

6) Wait 2-3 hours

7) Note the data usage your phone reports locally

8) Note the data usage the Optus App reports (both screens)

If they're all roughly equal then something is still wrong. But what you should see is the phone local data and the data breakdown screen show a fair bit of data (1Gb?) while the Overall Usage left hasn't changed at all.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thank you, Peter.

I did a test last night as you suggested. I checked Android's data usage early in the morning and it showed 677 MB for Spotify (see attached fig). However, Optus app has not shown any change in the Service tab (the circle and breakdown (see attached fig)). Update cycle is apparently not 4 hours (the test was done more than 13 hours so far).

I will until the usage in breakdown shows up and let you guys know the result.

Screenshot_20181107-191424.png

Screenshot_20181107-191446.png

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@ntru,

Unfortunately usage updates are legally filed under 'best effort'. Even the legislated SMS warning you of 50, 85 or 100%  usage only specifies best efforts (but should really be within 48 hours). Optus generally do usage updates every four hours but it's still 'best efforts'. It is strange that on prepaid accounts Optus 'best efforts' are generally within 1-2 minutes after exceeding your limits.

Sounds like you have good base info, wait for an update and you should know.

Peter Gillespie

Top Contributors