Searching...

What option are you giving me?

Cudareli

I have been a loyal Optus customer for over 10 years but you are backing to me into a corner at the moment with how you are conducting business of late. I've noticed a huge shift in attitude over the last 2 years at Optus, almost like you've dropped your prices on the basis that you won't be providing proper, personalised customer service anymore.

THe ADSL2+ connection I have with Optus is currently running at a less than 1mbps at peak hours. This is completely unusable for any streaming and despite being told for the last 3 years that the exchange is running over its capactiy, no upgrade works are being planned. I do not have access to NBN and don't expect it in the future.

As a result, I went and spent $140 a month on a 4g data plan that gives me 400gb of data to use for streaming. At the same time, I also signed up to recieve a fetch TV box for an additional $5 a month, with the view of using it to watch Optus Sport during this World Cup.

I've now found out that you won't let me use my 4g data plan to watch Fetch as you deem this as 'tethering'. This is absolutely ridicolous, the sim card is in a modem and run by an ethernet cable to the Fetch box, so it isn't 'tethering' at all, it's my only way of being able to stream TV.

I've now been told I have a few options:

1. Chromecasting which is unrelaible, not convenient and not acceptable. It will also chew up my data.
  2. Signing up for a satellite that will cost me me an extra $20 a month, on top of all the fees I'm already paying you, as well as a $250 setup fee. This won't allow me to get Fetch, but will allow me to watch Optus Sport.

Tell me what I am supposed to do? Not person in your team can actually tell me why Optus have blocked using my 4g data allowance to stream through Fetch, they just give me generic responses.

I was one of your biggest supporters over the years and very vocal about how great it was when you won the rights to the EPL, but this is an epic disaster. You've given me absolutely no hope of being able to watch the EPL even though I've been so open to solutions. Just give it back to Fox and let them charge a fee, which will be cheaper than yours based on all of the work arounds I've tried above.

Re: What option are you giving me?

SamSam

Didn't know about the "no 4g data for fetch" rule before but what's wrong with Chromecast? I use one every day and they're great, exceptionally reliable going on my own experience and those of friends/family. Also, the Chromecast Ultra comes with a power adaptor that allows for ethernet connectivity so you should be fine to use your existing set up. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own

Toomey

Hey @Cudareli, thanks for reaching out and I'm sorry to hear of your disappointment with the services.

Your 4G data isn't blocked from tethering, the issue is that Yes TV by Fetch will only run using a fixed line internet service, wireless networks like mobile broadband or home wireless broadband are not compatible. 

I agree with @SamSam that Chromecast would be your best option. I have Yes TV by Fetch, Chromecast and a PC hooked up to my TV and definitely use the Chromecast more than anything for streaming. Can you provide more information as to how it is unreliable and not convenient for yourself?

If your Chromecast is connected to the Optus mobile broadband, then it wouldn't use your data allowance for Optus Sport content either.

Satellite is offered for customers who have no other options for Optus Sport. Although it costs more to run than other services, it can also be the only option for some people. It's also the only service to offer 1080 streams!

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any questions and I will follow up.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

SamSam

Toomey, just to be clear, the Fetch Box does work on a 3/4G connection but in order for the box to be "active" you need a fixed connection, right? The only exception being Fetch Mini on a postpaid mobile account

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own

Cudareli

Yes but I keep asking, why though? If I have the data limit and a modem, why can't I stream using 4G? Hayu and the Optus app works great, however why won't it let me watch the games live? Until I get an answer to that, I can only assume it's to benefit Optus and thus, they aren't prepared to give me the facts.

Why bother signing up for a Fetch box at all is more my point? I have to then Chromecast anyway, which is a 3rd party device that isn't provided by Optus and that the box itself isn't capable of allowing.

Toomey

The box wouldn't work with a 3/4G connection at all. Even Yes TV by Fetch Mini with a mobile plan would still require a fixed line connection to run. Check out the "Fetch Eligibility & Equipment" section in the "Important Info" at the bottom of this page.

"To use Fetch, it requires an active fixed broadband internet connection with a download speed of at least 3Mbps"

@Cudareli These are hardware limitations of the Fetch equipment itself and not a decision made by Optus. In your circumstances, I wouldn't recommend singing up to Yes TV by Fetch at all. The terms and conditions stated on the sign up page are not suitable for your situation and Chromecast would be a better alternative for streaming services.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Cudareli

OK great, thanks for being open with me. Dissapoitning but understand it's out of Optus' control.

RobHem

Funny thing, I have Optus Mobile Broadband and we have two Fetch boxes: one retail box, and one Fetch by Optus.

The retail box works flawlessly, the Optus box doesnt stream at all.

So this 'not compatible' is a deliberate and software-implemented choice by Optus.

Dan_C

Once we start delving into unlimited mobile data territory, I'm sure it's something that it'll be considered (especially with 5G around the corner).

In my opinion, there would be a couple of things to think about

- An effective way to manage mobile data when streaming (especially in HD). 
- Overloading the mobile network. 

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
47 Kudos
17 Kudos
15 Kudos
15 Kudos
12 Kudos