Searching...
Accepted Solution

Want a straight answer about Data Usage and Netflix, Stan and Spotify

BNJ

I've come here because the online chat people are not helpful and cannot give me a straight answer. 

I have a plan which includes streaming of Netflix, Stan and Spotify free, Over the last couple of weeks, I've actually had time to watch a few movies and play some music. My Optus app reports that I have used 84% of my data, the only thing I have done differently is watching movies and listen to music. Yet, this is supposed to be free. When I look at my usage report I can see that some data is 'excluded' from the count but it seems if I were to add it all up it is actually included in my overall data report and is reflected on the data usage app - as if raw data usage is being measured and reported but it is not then taking off the 'free' data streaming. 

I have tried with great frustration in speaking with an Optus customer service operator who frequently seems to not have a clue about how data is recorded and reported. I keep running into a brick wall. #going to drop Optus at the next available opportunity if they can't get their act together. 

Anyone have any idea of this or come across this before?  

Re: Want a straight answer about Data Usage and Netflix, Stan and Spotify

petergdownload

This recent thread is similar (note a mod gives an incorrect answer mid way but its clarified later)

The way its meant to work? The Overall Usage should show you the paid data you have used. The data breakdown tab (Daily) will show you all data you have used (free and paid). 

So if you have a 20Gb plan and used 5Gb surfing the net and 5Gb watching SD Netflix then the Overall will show 5Gb used and the breakdown will show 10Gb used.

You should set your local phone usage counters too.

Its possible something is not working on your account with free data (try the experiments in the other thread I listed). Also you might be using data incorrectly (e.g casting on a TV or HD Netflix etc.) . you also need to have ensured the free data is activated on your account. A service person should be able to confirm that as well as confirm you are getting free data on your account.

Peter Gillespie

BNJ

So Peter, are you saying if I hotspot to my phone, using my iPad, and chrome cast Netflix from my iPad, then I am not getting Netflix free?

Solution

SamSam

I'm not sure if that's what he was trying to say but yes, that's how it works. You're given data free streaming for use on your mobile handset, not for you to hotspot to other devices. The exception to this is Optus Sport but you haven't mentioned that so I'm assuming you don't use it. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
65 Kudos
60 Kudos
21 Kudos
21 Kudos
17 Kudos