Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
New Contributor Wellsy41
New Contributor

Upgrading Service

Hi there,

I had a Fetch service that was upgraded a while back which was out of contract and for a time I was paying $70/mth with the entertainment pack included. Apparently this plan had changed and to get the same inclusions I was expected to pay $90 instead of $70. I decided to opt for the $90 to keep my current setup but only I was told that I needed to go on a contract to get exactly what I was getting before only now I am paying an extra $20.

I decided to investigate as I have been having many issues with my internet/fetch service but I have just realised that I am on a 24mth contract, not 12mths and I was forced to pay the extra or lose my current service. What are my options?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Upgrading Service

Optus did provide the Entertainment pack for free for a while initially but yes that did end and to add it you needed to pay $20. There should have been no need to enter into a new contract though. The existing contract should have moved to month to month and you could opt to add or remove entertainment channels as needed (between $5 and $20 a month extra).

It does sound like the agent you spoke to just signed you up to a new 24 month contract without making other options clear or properly explaining what was happening.

All you can do at this stage is talk to Optus directly (I suggest livechat). Probably best in work hours as you may need the billing department etc. First question should be to find out how much it will cost to leave. THe amount is usually a set fee that is reduced the longer you have been on the contract:

If you sign up to a 24-month contract, the maximum cancellation fee for this bundle is $451 includes both telephony and broadband services and any modem charges (if applicable). When you re-contract, the maximum cancellation fee for this bundle is $100. Cancellation fees decrease during your contract period.

You should be up for $100 max (as you recontracted) but see what they say. It gives you a starting point anyway. The next thing is to look into why you were moved to a contract when you should have been left as is and just told to pay the Fetch Package fee.

Note Optus don't do 12 month contracts on the Internet plans. Did you agree to 12 months?

Also note if you leave Optus then the Fetch unit must be returned (at their expense). You can buy another one for a few $100 privately but make sure you only buy from a big retailer or Fetch themselves (ebay). All other units are scams.

New Contributor Wellsy41
New Contributor

Re: Upgrading Service

I can’t remember the exact details as it was a phone conversation. The only thing I was concerned about was the fact that I was recontracted even though it was to a higher plan. If I can finish the contract early for $100 then I might look into it.
Thanks for your advice.
0 Kudos