cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor Woody1
Occasional Contributor

Two fetch set top boxes.

Can you have a Fetch set top box on one TV in lounge room & another Fetch set top box on a TV in a bedroom. 

Basically, can you have 2 Fetch set top boxes connected to 2 separate TV's, one in lounge room & one in a bedroom.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Two fetch set top boxes.

Definitely (that's called multiroom)

If you have two boxes already (both from Optus) then just hook them up. 

If you're considering getting a second box then perhaps just get a mini if the main one is a mighty as you can stream the content from the mighty (as well as FTA TV) to the mini. 

Do you have the ability to connect both boxes to the same Wifi/CAT5/LAN network?

Peter Gillespie

Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter,

I am thinking of buying a mini Fetch Top Box, so when the grandkids come for Christmas, the adults can watch the TV in the lounge room & the grandkids can watch TV or Netflix in the bedroom.

I was going to just connect the mini box directly to the antenna connection in the bedroom & run an enthanel cable back to the optus modem. Basically, have 2 separate units.

Do you have to connect the mini box to the mighty box?

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi,

You need to be careful because Optus Fetch Boxes are not 100% compatible with store bought Fetch boxes (I assume your existing one is from Optus). Essentially any Fetch subscriptions you have with Optus can be used on other Optus Fetch devices but not store bought. I'm not sure if that also applies to watching content recorded on the Mighty from the mini. Also recently Fetch have added the ability to stream FTA live TV from the mighty to the mini (so you only need one aerial)

But if you just want to attach your own FTA aerial and stream say Netflix etc. to the mini then there's no issue. You don't need to connect the boxes directly but if they are both on the same network then they can see each other.

Note Fetch boxes from Optus are leased (You need to give them back if you leave). Store bought boxes are yours. You pay a one off $1 for an EPG subscription to FetchTV directly and you can purchase subscriptions directly from Fetch as well. You can lease an extra mini from Optus for just $5 a month here - might be a good move as you can probably return the box net year when the kids go back to school.

Alternatively I also think the refurbished units are good value if you want to keep it.

Peter Gillespie

PS Don't by second hand Fetch units off eBay - They're generally decomissioned and a scam.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks, Peter. You were a great help

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter,

Just letting you know that it is $10 per month for the mini, not $5, so I will let it go, as I only have my grandkids here on school holidays, so it is not worth it.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Thanks. I missed the "Note: Price applies to first Fetch service only." bit. 

Is it a contractual thing though? Can't get the fetch for 2 months and then return it?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

I didn't ask. It will also cost me money to have the cable connected to the modem, under the house, so I will let it go, for now. At least I know,  what I need, which I didn't before. I am lucky you told me not to buy one at a retailer, because originally, that was what I was thinking of doing.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

You perhaps misunderstood. A retailer purchase (like jbhifi refurbished) will do what you need (Kids watch netflix in another room and FTA if you have an aerial there) 

Cable under the house is pretty easy. Just grab a 20m cat5 cable from MST or the like and drill a small hole in the floor and run the cable back to the modem (another small hole in the floor). Alternatively Fetch units work via wifi and if you have a decent signal you can use that? 

Anyway, sounds like it might be getting more complex than you want. Perhaps hire a few DVDs?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter,

Bought a refurbished one from JBHIFI & a cable to connect to modem. Thanks for all your help.