cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Turn off Closed Captions when streaming my media from my PC via Fetch TV

Hey guys, I've contacted our TV & content team for some further advice.

I'll update this thread once I have more info. I shouldn't be too long!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

@Maxvw, sorry one last question.

You've mentioned that the MKV file is embedded with Closed captions/subtitles.

Normal closed captions/subtitles, shown in the MKV, MP4, AVI etc exist in different formats. There are closed captions which are soft (can easily be edited or removed) and subtitles that embedded or hard coded as a part of the picture. If you play the media file on a PC, you're able to toggle them on and off? What sort of media player do you use, is it something like VLC?

In the past you've could play media files with embedded closed captions with the option to toggle them on and off via Fetch? I wouldn't imagine that this would be possible.

If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor Maxvw
Occasional Contributor

Hi Dan

The closed captions/subtitles I refer to are "soft coded" i.e they are not part of the picture.

When I play them on my PC via VLC, I can turn on/off the subtrack to show/not show closed captions.

Similarly, when I play these .mkv files thru my Telstra Roku box, I can again turn on/off closed captions via thier * options key etc ...hence I don't see closed captions here as this is always turned off.

Since the firmware upgrade to Fetch, when using My Media, I now get these closed captions permanantly on. If I use the 123.. and Info key combination (i.e. "text" key), I see a note on the top right showing closed caption on/closed captions off  toggle ....but regardless of which setting I use (obviously closed caption off), the closed captions remain on at all times.

I cannot comment if this on/off toggle previously turned closed captions on/off in .mkv files in My Media, prior to firmware upgrade, as I never had need to use it (not requiring closed captions) .....hence it appears the new firmware is automatically turning closed captions on and not allowing thes to be swithched of using the "text" key

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Okay, it was just the word embedded that got me. There's no harm in clarifying.

Thanks for the extra info! I just thought I'd ask as it's best to include as much info as possible when I go back to the team.

I’ll update this thread once I’ve received a response.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

No problems, thanks Dan, will await to here more

0 Kudos
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Same problem here...if i run the .mkv through mediainfo there is a text stream there as well as the normal Audio and Video stream.. if i play them through my Humax box they do not show at all....just a bit more info for you.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Good to see Linuts, I've also played the .mkv files via my portable HDD connected to TV, and no subtitles either.....so sounds definately like a bug in new Fetch firmware

0 Kudos
New Contributor PeteM
New Contributor

I have the same problem. I swear I was able to turn off subtitles a month or so ago. 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors