cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor Maxvw
Occasional Contributor

Turn off Closed Captions when streaming my media from my PC via Fetch TV

Following recent software upgrade to Fetch TV, Closed Captions are now permanently on, in media I am streaming from my PC. Previously Closed Cations were not available at all. How can these be turned off. I am aware of how to turn closed captions on or off with TV shows or other media, but this does not work when streaming from my media. I also note this problem does not occur when streaming my media via my Roku box

0 Kudos
17 Replies
RetiredModerator Toomey
RetiredModerator

Re: Turn off Closed Captions when streaming my media from my PC via Fetch TV

I'm not in front of my box at the moment, but are you able to press the blue button to view options and disable captions from there?

Also I'm assuming these are saved within a .mkv or something? Not a separate sub file?

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi Toomey

Yes subtitles embeded in an .mkv file. They do however appear not to be part of normal play function, as, when I run these .mkv files through a Roku box, the subtitles do not appear.

If .srt that would be simple, just delete the file.

I had tried the blue button before but only options are showing keys for play, pause, skip, info , stop.

This problem has only occured in the last week or two since Fetch software upgrade.

I note from the posts that previously people were asking for closed captions to be available, now they are, but always on???

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Toomey
RetiredModerator

Ah ok that would appear to be the case then, which I agree is rather frustrating. This is the first enquiry I've had about this so I'll pass on the feedback to be reviewed and hopefully it's addressed in a future update. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Occasional Contributor

Hi Toomey 

Thanks for that....at least those hearing impaired, that were raising closed captions now have them 😀. I will just use Fetch for my media .mkv files without cc. When they occur, I'll just switch to Roku box....and hope for a solution one day.

0 Kudos
New Contributor RyanAJ
New Contributor

I'm having the same problems with being unable to turn of Closed Captions on some media from my PC. I'm also having the same issue on some Youtube clips (movie trailers, etc). This has all been happening since the Fetch box did an update about 2 weeks ago. Has a solution been found yet?

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/entertainment/tv-movies/mobile-tv-streaming

Hmm, we'd released firmware update 2.18 a few weeks back.

One of the points in the update description state the following:

"Closed Captions will be available to customers when watching STAN. In time customers will start to notice closed caption being rolled out to other applications including FETCH VOD. Further information will come over firmware releases."

Regarding switching them off, on your Fetch remote, simply press the Text button, and Closed Captions will be displayed if they are available. You should be able to toggle them off with a press of a button.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Hi Dan

Unfortunately your solution doesn't work when playing .mkv files via My Media with embedded closed captions....Fetch turns them on and normal way to turn off does not work.

..please see my original post. As previously mentioned I have gone back to Telstra Roku box since this firmware change ....very disappointing 

0 Kudos
New Contributor RyanAJ
New Contributor

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the reply. I've tried the Text button on the remote and it doesn't work. As per Maxvw's post, I'm stuck with closed captions for some .mkv files and some Youtube clips.

Cheers,

Ryan.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

I to am experiencing this problem, the option to close them via the blue button does not work.

0 Kudos