cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor Akko
Occasional Contributor

Thankyou for my Birthday present

On 10 Oct, I asked Optus to re-instate the Variety pack on my Fetch that somebody at Optus changed to Kids pack without my consent.  Simple enough request, not for Optus. 

So they send me a new Fetch Box without any consultation.  There is nothing wrong with my current Fetch box.  It even arrived with instructions on package "Do Not Send Equipment, Customer already has Fetch".  So I’m waiting for Optus to contact me about it but nobody does. 

A week later, a courier delivers an empty satchel to me.  No instructions, I assume it is to return Fetch box that I did not ask for.  Still waiting for Optus to contact me.

A few days later, I turn on TV/Fetch and all I can get is a red screen with message "Fetch cannot login" because the box has been de-activated.  At this point, there were a few adjectives flying around my house!  So after several calls to Optus finally someone gives me advice what to do, ring Fetch and ask for old box to be re-activated, so I do that.  Fetch response “once a box has been de-activated it will wipe all the contents if you re-activate it”.  Me "but this working Fetch box is full of all my favourite movies I recorded over last 2 years".  Fetch response “I am very sorry sir but there is no way to change that”. 

So…on my Birthday, I get a red screen from Fetch and only way to fix is trash my working box full of all my favourite movies.  Thankyou very much Optus for this unauthorised interruption to my service and invasion of my account.  My Birthday was trashed, no TV, no movies, wasted hours setting everything up again when I had visitors coming.  I have to say whoever caused this at Optus (I suspect the woman I spoke to on 10 Oct) should not be working there.  Still no contact from Optus to explain WTF is happening   I will certainly not forget this massive inconvenience and stuff up by Optus who I have been with for over 20 years.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Thankyou for my Birthday present

Probably doesn't help now but you can change your fetch subscription any time and as many times as you want just on the fetch box itself. Just make sure you unsubscribe before you re-subscribe.

The rest of your sorry Saga would be down to someone cancelling your box. After that happens all the steps you mentioned are required.

Peter Gillespie
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Peter but unfortunately that does not work with a channel pack included in you NBN bundle.  Changing subscriptions thru the box for included channel packs results in your being charged for what is included free.  What you suggest only works for subscribed channel packs and when they are included in your bundle they are not shown as subscribed.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I can't say I'm across every Optus fetch offer but it's generally been a long standing practice that Optus just provide a credit for one fetch pack on your bill. Which pack is not relevant. So as long as you unsubscribe a pack before you subscribe to another then you won't get charged for two packs (and the credit is applied as usual)

Peter Gillespie
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Peter the included channel pack in a bundle is not shown on the Fetch box as a subscribed channel pack, therefore it isn't possible to unsubscribe it thru the Fetch box.  It is necessary to ring Optus support to have the included channel pack changed.  Failure to do that and activating a new subscription thru the Fetch box then results in a new 2nd subscription which is charged separately and then shown on the Fetch box which can then be changed at will thru the box.  I was told by Optus I had to ring them to change it and not to try and change it thru the box or a second charge will result. 

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Thanks. I don't know why Optus would implementation such a convoluted (and in your case busted) process when they already have a long standing workable solution in place. Contracts presumably.

Unfortunately something triggered the recall process and after that there's no stopping the inconvenience until you're out the other side

Happy birthday btw.

Peter Gillespie
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Yes the process is certainly busted.  Would be much easier if the included channel pack showed up as subscribed then you could change it at will and on invoice they just credit one channel pack.  Also I think these operator get paid bounty for new sign ups and I suspect what this person did was cancel my contract and restart it, waiting for the monthly invoice to check that.  I had a negotiated package and if she has messed that up I will be escalating this significantly.

Anyway thanks for trying to help and the birthday wishes.

Cheers