cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor Kaiser1
New Contributor

Re: Taking recorded content off Optus set top box

Yes there is but only for the free to air programs you have recorded. Use VLC video player. Under universal plug and play you will see all you recorded programs on your fetch box and how to copy them.

0 Kudos
Contributor halo9
Contributor

Sorry I missed your post, haven't been here for a while. I wish I knew about that last trick with VLC but a while back when I did this Fetch had disabled the DLNA functions at the time and the box was not visible over the network. Hopefully that works a treat now.

If not, from memory the box uses the Z file system (ZFS) which has no windows support. You can try FreeBSD or FreeNAS on a USB drive and boot from it. Once loaded you should be able to mount the volume and copy data off it. Like I mentioned previously, once you find the video files it is a jumbled mess, so you have to open and watch each one to see what it is and rename the files. I tried to find a database with the description of each file (as it is listed in your recoeded items on the box) but had no luck, so it is a very manual process.

A last note, the recorded free to air programs are recorded as interlaced video and it looked crap on the PC, so you will need to convert and de-interlace the stuff you want to keep if you want it to look good.

Have fun.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Kaiser1
New Contributor

Thanks for that info.

I don't realy need to copy stuff from my Fetch box, mainly just wondering if you can! Most of it is available elsewhere if you really need it!

0 Kudos
New Contributor ASHiE83
New Contributor

Did you end up making this work?

I'm getting a new fetch box in a couple of weeks and really don't want to lose all my recordings if I can avoid it.

Thanks

0 Kudos
New Contributor Kaiser1
New Contributor

Yes it does work but as I said only for FTA TV. It is pretty slow too as I do it over my local net work. Not sure if there is another way to connect Fetch box direct to PC.

Optus updated my old box a few months back and gave me no time to get the old recordings, just disconnected the old one a short time after I ordered it and before I got the new one! No warning this would happen.

If you have problems I may be able to help.

0 Kudos