Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor westlinedi
New Contributor

Taking recorded content off Optus set top box

Hi all

Is there a way to take content off the Optus set top box hard drive? I have a friend that was on telly last week and I want to make a video of it for her. 

Thanks.

John

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Taking recorded content off Optus set top box

Hey John, I thought this was going to be an easy thing to do however after reading a few pages it doesn’t seem like there is any simple method. I was thinking to myself I bet you could remove the hard drive and set it up as a secondary drive in a normal pc and copy it across providing it had a readable format. I guess if you really want a copy it might be an option. Keep in mind you could run the risk of stuffing your hard drive in the process if you dont know what you are doing.

The other option I thought of is contacting the television studio as I do recall many years ago being able to buy a copy of a tv program. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Yeldarb,

Most set top box's use a proprietary file system to avoid piracy.

The best solution I can come up with is something like the Elgato that people use to record console games directly to their PC HDD.

The advantage of this is that it would allow you to keep recording beyond the HDD capacity of your set top box.

Cheers,

Chris

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Yep just watched a YouTube video on how to read and convert the files from a set top box. I am not sure if there is even an OS on the hard drive as most DVR devices I have messed with run a linux variant directly from the main board with Fat32 hard drives.

0 Kudos
Moderator Tris

Wouldn't suggest removing the HDD from your Fetch STB folks. The Fetch hardware remains property of Optus - Any damage to the hardware could result in you being charged a fee 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Well I did have the forethought not to post the YouTube video link. Point taken and I am now off to sulk with a whole chocolate cake and a diet coke. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator Hollie
RetiredModerator

Naww Yeldarb - don't eat your feelings mate! We do appreciate your input in the forum, just can't condone taking our equipment apart 🙂 Hollie

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

If it’s not illegal, immoral or fattening it’s not worth doing. Off to eat the rest of my cake. Smiley LOL

Edit: typo.

0 Kudos
Contributor halo9
Contributor

It is possible but probably not worth the effort. File system is not proprietry but is not common and cannot be mounted directly in windows, in other words if you plug it into a pc windows will tell you the drive is not formatted and will try and format it.

The only option is to mount the hdd in a capable linux system or running a linux distribute in a VM on windows (did not try the latter but should work). If you do get in and find the files it is much like the music stored directly on an ipod/iphone, the file names are all jumbled and if you have a lot of stuff it is a pain to find what you want so you need to watch everything and rename each file accordingly. I only did this once on a faulty box for research purposes and would not recommend pulling apart a working box. 

New Contributor XSnowy
New Contributor

Windows doesn't even ask me if it wants to format it. I used their compatability tools to try read Linux files of duel opperating systems, that at least got the drived mapped, but then I was prompted to reformat because it was unreadable -.-

What would you describe/recommend as a capable Linux operating system? I've plenty experience unjumbling files from Apple and similar applications, I just need to salvage the current content on the drive before I migrate to another system that can record directly to my servers.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors