cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor Gregandgraham
New Contributor

Syfy channel being removed

Why is fetch tv stopping Syfy tv on 31 dec? Is it going to be a different channel. 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Syfy channel being removed

I suspect this deal might have something to do with it

https://www.afr.com/companies/media-and-marketing/foxtel-and-nbcuniversal-close-to-expanded-tv-and-s...

Peter Gillespie
0 Kudos
New Contributor Frostthesnowman
New Contributor

I've also seen that as well as the syfy channel the channel 13th Street is been cancelled, will there be replacement channels for the variety pack?

0 Kudos
New Contributor Canadaussie12
New Contributor

I have been looking for the same information but can't find anything about what we get as a replacement...

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

There's no particular onus for a replacement. Content is always at the whim of the content owners and in this case the owners (Not FetchTV) took their content elsewhere. Content providers like Fetch do highlight that the channel lineup can vary (for better or worse) any time.

I'm sure Fetch are looking for other content but in practice it will be completely different shows. Until then I would say evaluate their product on what it is offering now.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Gregandgraham @Canadaussie12 @Frostthesnowman 

Fetch don't seem to be removing the SyFy channel. For the time being.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi all,

These are the last two communications we have received from Fetch about their channel changes:

31st December 2019

November 2019

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor Harrison
Contributor

According to my Channel Guide “Syfy will cease transmission on 31/12/2019”
So yes it seems as though the channel is no more. Also reports so far from Fetch is they are currently looking to see what they can do with their channels probably meaning this has happened fairly quickly as they don’t have anything to replace the channels that are leaving.
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I can confirm @Harrison observation. Apparently SyFy is due to end in 28 days. FetchTV are showing a small B&W note in the EPG and its also noted on their packages on their website. Yet just seven days ago FetchTV announced several Disney channels were closing but explicitly stated no changes expected for the SyFy channel. All FetchTV recordings for this channel will be deleted in 28 days. Fetch and Optus have done well communicating these changes for 13 Street and Style but I the major channel of SyFy has been badly managed to date. There's no legal requirement to stay on stop of channel changes but telling people its going, no its staying, actually its going is not a great process.

@Ray_YC - I reckon someone at Optus needs to get on to the phone to someone at Fetch?

Fetch also have a Kids Disney Channel which I assume is under contract for the content at the moment but assume that will also be withdrawn at some point in the future.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos