Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Suddenly lost free to air channels via Fetch box

I seem to have lost all free to air channels through the Fetch box. Before today it was working fine, but when I switched the TV on it was just blank.

I've tried doing a channel scan but it picks up zero channels. I've confirmed that the input aerial cable is OK as I can plug it directly into the TV and can see all the FTA channels on there OK.

The Fetch box appears to be working OK apart from that - I can see any "ínternet only" channels, play back recorded programs, get on-demand content etc.

It seems to me that it's just the aerial input that's failed. But is there anything else that it might be that I should be checking

Unfortunately I can't report it to Optus at the moment as it isn't a 'high priority' issue (which I understand)

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Suddenly lost free to air channels via Fetch box

Hi mxh,

Here are some other troubleshooting steps to check and try: Fetch free-to-air channels not working

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ray,

Yes, I found that page before I posted the question.

As you can see from my post, I have tried rescanning, and have also checked that the channels are not hidden.

All of the other suggestions don't apply as I've proved the signal and cable is fine by plugging directly into the TV.

Thanks

Michael

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hey Michael,

I haven't heard of a Fetch box becoming faulty just due to loss of FTA channels but I suppose anything is possible.

@petergdownload is a bit of a guru in this area and may have further suggestions.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Thanks @Ray_YC 

I would try the box at a mates place as a last test. Your TV has different tuners to the Fetch box and might pick up a signal that the Fetch can't

The total loss of all channels does suggest the tuner has failed though. If you can't get any channels then contact Optus and request a return satchel be sent out. Its a big enough failure that I'd be making the call. Request a replacement be sent out with a return satchel for the unit you have. You only need return the PVR, Remote and cables. Not the box.

Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the replies guys.

Not sure how to contact Optus at the moment - any method is met with a 'High Priority Only'type of message.

And would I have to return the box before Optus send a new one out? Sad as it sounds, I wouldn't want to lose the ability to watch recorded / on-demand stuff at the moment due to the chances of lockdown!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Equipment failure would seem to be reasonably high priority. It should be a pretty quick request.

Optus should be able to send you out a unit before the other one gets back but that's not 100%. They should usually send the new box and satchel and you have a few months to return the old box and if it doesn't get returned then they bill you for it ($350 I believe).

If you can't get through or run into trouble give me a bell here and I should be able to lend you mine until you get yours replaced.

Your other option is to just buy one yourself. You will eventually have to give your box back if you ever leave Optus. They available from fetch themselves for $280 outright.
https://www.ebay.com.au/p/28031264040
You lose the free channel though that Optus provides though.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

If you have a social media account, please send a PM to Optus on Facebook or a DM on Twitter with the details - they're still open but similiar to other teams, are prioritising emergency enquiries.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks

Tried calling yesterday but after entering all of the info over the phone, I got a message saying 'we can't take your call right now'and it hung up!

I've tried sending them a message n Facebook - will see how we go with that.

And whilst I understand that for a stretched service (eg hospitals) they'll have to prioritise emergency cases. But why are Optus having to do this? Are the Optus support teams not working? The hospitals are, the supermarkets are - why not Optus?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Because almost all of Optus support staff are/were located internationally and they've been shut down. Added to that is a lot of Optus processes seem to require manual intervention (e.g. people can't cancel or close an account now) so what was a stressed platform at the best of times is really struggling. Optus have apparently just hired 500 locals so hopefully they will at least be able to answer the phones if not actually do much yet.

As mentioned a couple of options for you above.
0 Kudos
Top Contributors