Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
New Contributor jordan7137
New Contributor

Streaming Quality for EPL

Hi

Over the past month or so I've noticed that the stream quality for the EPL is awful. Probably at a quality of SD television. It doesn't stutter much, the occasional buffer, but mainly just grainy and blurry. When the ball moves it almost looks like it has a tracer. 

Ive checked my NBN speed - 40mbps. I've checked the other streaming channels - no problem. The signal indicator on the epg shows 4 bars for all streamed channels but only 1 bar for Optus sport when EPL is on live.

So all things considered, it can be concluded that Optus are not allocating enough bandwidth to the EPL stream. They can't keep up with the traffic.

Given the cost of the entire service ($160 per month) and the fact that I am only contracted with Optus for tv, mobile and NBN due to the holding of the EPL rights, I think it's pretty shoddy that they're throwing out such a poor quality stream.

Is anyone else having this issue?

Can anyone at Optus shed some light on what is being done about it? 

0 Kudos
11 Replies
RetiredModerator AlexRH
RetiredModerator

Re: Streaming Quality for EPL

Hi @jordan7137, that's definitely not the case - though the issue you're getting on your end is concerning, can you please confirm which device you're streaming it on? 

Have you tried streaming on any other devices? If so, were you find the same issues or did it improve? 

I would also recommend getting in touch with our TV & Content team on 1800 230 158.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor jordan7137
New Contributor

Hi Alex. Thanks for the reply. I am streaming on the fetch mighty through wifi which is connected to the NBN.

Ive checked all the settings and diagnostics. Wifi connection is good. Internet speed is good. Other channels stream well. It is purely Optus Sport that the issue is with. That tells me that the issue cannot be with my hardware, internet connection or wifi, otherwise the other channels would be poor quality right? Additionally, streaming Optus sport any other time is good. The indicator shows 4 bars, HD quality. It's just when there is a game on i.e when the traffic is at its peak. 

I will give customer service a call but I'm not particularly confident that I'll get a resolution unless they can throttle.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Dany
Occasional Contributor

Is this going to be fixed or what?

Chromescast streaming is absolute rubbish on 100mbps

Standard definition tv is better than Optus.

Get your act together

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Toomey
RetiredModerator

@Dany what is the stream like before you start casting? Have you tried modifying your display settings via the Google Home app? We notice sometimes changing the refresh rate can have a huge impact on your cast

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi @Toomey

1) Streaming before casting is done on a phone or tablet; on these devices they look fine - due to their small size. Anything in 480p on your phone will look good. When casting to a 65” tv on the other hand, which is close to x 100 larger than a phone screen, it looks terrible. 

2) Yes, the refresh is set to 50hz via the Google Home app.

I appreciate your reply, but the problem is with the service itself. Optus claims 720p, it’s nowhere near that. SD tv is better.

Blocky, pixelated video by a major telco in Optus is an embarrassment to the company. I wish that they just offer a consistent 720p or get with the times, and stream in 1080p - I would gladly pay more to have this option.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Toomey
RetiredModerator

As long as your speeds are suitable, you should definitely be getting a 720 stream. This guide goes into more details about video quality → Optus Sport: Video Quality

If your speeds are suitable and you're still having issues, please raise a fault with the TV & Content team. They'll gather some diagnostic information from your account to further investigate.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thanks @Toomey

I raised a job with that team on Friday. Still waiting to hear back. 

Although through basic problem solving; great speed, other apps streaming just fine and other Optus users experiencing the same, there's no other plausible reason, other than that the service isn't up to scratch. It's being throttled. 

Appreciate your help. Hopefully they can resolve this with higher quality streaming. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi @Toomey

Fyi Man Utd vs West Bromwich on 16/4, the steam was perfect. First time like this, excellent quality on Chromecast.

Today watching Bournemouth vs Man Utd, the picture has returned to low quality. High setting yields the same picture quality as Medium/Low. Which has been the norm with Optus streaming.

Why did they fix it then revert it?

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator JordanOptus
RetiredModerator

Okay right, that's a bit odd 😕 I don't think they would've purposely reverted it. Have you heard from the TV & Content team yet?

0 Kudos