cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor Corey-H
New Contributor

Streaming Device & Sevice Help

Hi all,  I just discovered your glorious wisdom. I need help before I end up with 12 devices that don’t work. 

I have No fixed broadband etc in my home and I don’t plan to get it. 

I’m after a streaming device to watch Netflix without having to plug my laptop into the TV HDMI. And possibly looking to set up Stan

I have an Optus plan with 200g of data so I can happily stream a movie or series ep here and there with enough data to spare. 

I’ll need to hotspot from my IPhone XS or from the optuse netgear 4g aircard pocket wifi thingy. So far that’s streamed flawlessly through the laptop. 

What at is my best option for purchase of a device as I read some don’t work with metered data (phone plan data hotspot/wifi)

I think Fetch mini and big one are both ruled out

Roku+ seems to be only useful for Netflix 

Amazon Firestick maybe better value

can anyone help with best option or alternative. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Streaming Device & Sevice Help

My recommendation would be the Google Chromecast which supports a significant amount of streaming services including Netflix, Stan, YouTube and plenty more. It'll work with your "pocket Wifi thingy" or hotspotting from your phone (google this though as it takes an extra step or 2).

I've used it for many years now and it's been great! The setup is incredibly smooth and so simple to use and pricing wise is pretty decent in my opinion. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
New Contributor Corey-H
New Contributor

Thanks Sam,  I do actually have a chromecast. If my partner didn’t use it at work then I would have thrown it out of the window. Preferably one with a brick wall somewhat close to said window. 

I couldnt get get the cast to work through hotspot or pocket wifi. I’ll have another go though. I wanted something independent from the phone though so one of the units with remote is preferred as it will be for use when I’m not there and my phone is with me. So the Cast is out of the equation.  Thanks for the verification of them working via hotspot though. 

0 Kudos
Crowd Champion Davelew
Crowd Champion

Hi

To get your Chromecast working from your iPhone hotspot.

You need to activate your hotspot on your iPhone, then connect another device, could be your partners phone, to your hotspot.  Then setup the Chromecast using the Google home app on that device.

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor Corey-H
New Contributor

Thanks for your help I’ll try the chromecast again but I had tried a couple times and wasn’t impressed. I wanted something that is an interface unit in its own right not a mirroring unit. 

And something that had a remote so others can use it straight of the mobile broadband Unit which is the Optus aircard by netgear. I have since added the netgear cradle that charges and boosts the unit. 

I was given the go ahead on for the option of returning a 4K Apple TV Gen 4 Unit as no one knew if it worked on a metered account such as mobile broadband.  

In in turn it works perfectly and has not lagged or had to re buffer so I’m quite releaved. 

The bonus is all of the other apps for Australian based stuff I can add such as SBS on demand which is free and has excellent series available in addition to Netflixand Stan. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Crowd Champion Davelew
Crowd Champion

It's horses for courses, buy I would point out Chromecast in most circumstances is not a mirroring device. When you are casting apps you phone works just as a remote control and Chromecast selects the streaming direct from the app, hence you can turn your phone off and the cast will continue.  Also providing you set the correct settibg all devices on the same wifi can control the Chromecast device.

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors