Searching...

Spotify using my data when i have music streaming active

Rossk1

Hey, i have the music streaming package active on my phone plan and my data has gone over by using spotfiy. 2gbs ($20) has been topped up onto my bill from going over. Im using spotify app and i have premium spotify, surly i should not be charged this additional cost when im streaming on spotify.

Thanks Smiley Happy

Re: Spotify using my data when i have music streaming active

petergdownload

Hi,

Spotify (music) doesn't use much data usually. A few Gb a month normally. Are you sure Spotify used the data?

Have you activated free music streaming in MyAccount?

Are you playing your music on other devices (tethering) which isn't free? 

Peter Gillespie

Rossk1

Hey, yeah I’m just using it on my iPhone which is connected to the plan. Have looked at my data breakdown for the month and over 3 days nearly 3gbs. Been streaming playlists on Spotify but not downloading. I wouldn’t of thought that this would use my data with the streaming package and even put me over my allowance adding money to my bill.

Cheers

petergdownload

Note that the data breakdown shows all the data you have used

The overall data summary shows all the data you are being charged for.

(So if you stream 1000Gb of Spotify it will be listed on the breakdown but be zero rated (not charged for) in the summary.

Have you got the bill yet or are you just anticipating the charge? I suggest you need to look at the figures again as it may be that something else has used your allowance (Optus staff can probably tell you what). You should also have got warning SMSs if you were using up and going over your limits?

As another option reset your data counter on your iPhone each bill month. You can then see what data and what apps are using data using your own phone records and not Optus.

Peter Gillespie

Rossk1

I’m anticipating the charge, haven’t payed the bill yet just on my breakdown. Spotify has used majority of my data allowance(10gbs a month) I’ll have to see what happens once my bill comes through and what I’m actually charged. My question is that will my account be billed from Spotify using my data, making my bill go over when I’ve been streaming on Spotify premium. 

Cheers

petergdownload

Ah. Then its likely you have no issue. FWIW Optus staff generally won't / can't fix anything until a bill is issued. So sit tight and I expect you've got no issues.

Peter Gillespie

Rossk1

Turns out I have recived my bill and it has gone over my data limit, charging the $30 (3gb extra).

Highlighted

petergdownload

Damn. FWIW I think Optus usage charges are pretty unconscionable. The tools they provide to monitor and limit your usage are clearly unreliable. That they charge $10 for a 1Gb over run in the days of 200Gb plans is completely disproportionate. And not giving customers the option to refuse the automatic top ups is completely disingenuous.

That said, I would now contact LIVE CHAT and work out what apps Optus says caused the data consumption. It may be that you have actually just used too much data. Or it may be that Optus has charged you for what should be free. They should be able to explain and fix pretty quickly. You can also contact Facebook Optus for a quicker response.

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
47 Kudos
17 Kudos
16 Kudos
11 Kudos
11 Kudos