cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Occasional Contributor kevt2
Occasional Contributor

Second FetchTV Mighty box

Hi, I'm considering adding a 2nd Fetch Mighty to my home setup but have read that 2nd box won't let me add it under my existing Fetch registration. Is this correct?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Second FetchTV Mighty box

Hi @KEV2, not true at all. You can actually add up to three set-top boxes to the once account with Fetch Multiroom.

You’ll be able to share:

. All subscription channels 

. All movie/tv rentals and purchases from the Movie store

. All recordings made on your Fetch set-top box 

If you're interested, reach out to the team over Live Chat or message us via the My Optus app. If you have any other questions for us, let us know. We're always happy to help.

--------------------------------------------------------------
We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Dan. Unfortunately I have no confidence in the answers I receive in chat or over the phone - too many answers I get later prove to be wrong. That's why I'm having a try here.

Can you confirm then that a second box can share the activitation number I have been issued, or is this a separate thing?

I'm investigating getting a secondhand (possibly previously activated, possibly not) box. Will this work?

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Fetch boxes remain the property of Optus (you'll need to return yours if you leave Optus). Be very wary buying second hand units as if they belong to an RSP then they will be DOA. You can buy refurbished Fetch units from FetchTV directly on eBay or via some major resellers (JBHiFi etc.) - those are yours to keep.

However only Optus Fetch boxes will allow all the options Dan mentions above to be shared between other Optus boxes (i.e. and free or bought packages and and free or bought movies)

I'm not sure if a non Optus Fetch box and an Optus box can still share FTA Recordings though. SOmeone else will have to confirm that.

Peter Gillespie
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the prompt reply Peter. What if the secondhand box is itself an Optus unit?

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Not sure if its no go or just pot luck for a undefined period of time. FWIW there's no such thing as a second hand Optus Fetch unit, as no one is allowed to sell them. The units may work for a while until one day Optus deactivates them or be a brick on start up. It may work for you but the risk factor is high (as you have to plug them in to the internet for them to work)

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

So to be clear: all the "Yes TV by Fetch" boxes advertised for sale secondhand are effectively illegal sales, which may or may not work when connected to internet?

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

That's about it. No doubt some are inadvertent (assuming they own the box after all this time) but many are just a scam. Only Fetch themselves or the Big Retailers have legit (non RSP) ones to sell. You activate them by sending Fetch $1 for the EPG (a one off payment)

You could add an Optus Fetch mini maybe? It can access all the things listed above. Not sure if the 6 months free is still available

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Peter, thanks again mate ... but I'm still a bit muddled! So Minis in 2ndhand market ARE legit, but Mightys not? Is this correct? Does Optus sell the boxes independent of plans? I looked, but all seem part of a package. A non-Optus (independent retail) box won't have Optus Sport etc access, will it? Sorry so many questions, but it's seemingly a complicated business!

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

No problem. Optus do structure Fetch so that its a bit of a secret exactly what the deal is.

1) Optus (and some other RSPs) offer a branded FetchTV box.
2) These boxes ALWAYS remain the property of Optus (or relevant RSP).
3) You only get TSP FetchTV one with a RSP plan. If you cancel the plan you have to give the box back (mighty or mini)
4) If you don't give the box back you will be charged a $250 no return fee for the mighty and $150 fee for the mini
5) Paying the no return fee doesn't mean you own the box. It can still be deactivated. If you return the box you will get this fee refunded
6) Optus will send out a satchel/courier to return the box on request.
7) I do not know if Optus deactivate mini's (Logically I think they do). They definitely deactivate mighties eventually.
8) Some Optus plans offer free Optus Sport on the Optus Fetch
9) However Optus now sells Optus sport as a seperate $15 a month subscription service and you can play that on a lot of other devices (including non Optus Fetch boxes) See here.
10) Read the hidden FAQs and IMPORTANT info right at the bottom of this page

11) A second hand mini is a bit of an unknown for me. They have the same return requirement as the mighty so I suspect the answer is no, they are not legit either. Be interested if you ever plugged one in to your current network. Only another Optus mini (legit or not) would be able to properly multi room with an Optus Mighty.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Top Contributors