cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Highlighted
New Contributor Broccyd93
New Contributor

Rapid battery depletion

Has anyone else experience rapid battery depletion whilst using the Optus Sport app this season? I thought I noticed a massive drop last week, but couldn't be sure. Just then, I watched the 3 minute highlight video of the Arsenal vs Leceister game. My iPhone 6S battery went from 58% to 25%... Basically it makes the app unusable unless you are attached to a wall.

Anyone else having this issue, and if so do the developers know about it? I'd appreciate a fix.

Thanks,

Broc

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Rapid battery depletion

Apps can't drain batteries that fast. Screen only saps so much power, internet s much power etc. 

Is there an option in settings to see what apps are using your battery? 

I suggest you retry the experiment. Get to 100% and watch a 3 minute video. 

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor

Hi Peter,

There appeared to be no apps of any kind "chewing up" much battery at all, however the Optus Sport app had used 10% of battery in the past 24 hours from 10 minutes of screen time according to the battery usage in settings, so it would appear that it is using significantly more than it should.

I haven't tried at 100% yet, but again I tried another 2:45 video and the battery went from 33% - 19%, and I noticed my phone getting significantly hotter as the video went on? All other background apps were closed prior to this.

Surely this has to be an app specific issue?

Cheers,

Broc

0 Kudos
Moderator Aman_B

Hi @Broccyd93, apologies for the inconvenience caused. Could you please take your handset to your nearest Optus store and we'll access the battery. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

As Amon says, it sounds like the battery's got issues. Video is possibly just highlighting the issues - perhaps watching youtubes will have the same drain? 

If the issue was app related then there would be many more complaints here as we all use the same app. 

Hop in to a store and get it swapped over.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor

I trialled YouTube videos as Peter suggested and 15 mins on HD video viewing, the battery did not deplete even 1% and no excess heat generated.

I ended up uninstalling the Optus Sport app, reinstalling it and trying again. Who would have thought...

Watched the 6 minute all goals video and no battery drain and no heat!

I'm not sure what the mechanism of the problem was and how this fixed it, but reinstalling the app seems to have solved my issue. Suggest trying that if anyone else has experienced the same problem.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Broc

Top Contributors