Searching...

Re: Quality of EPL streaming - fetch mini

Yuuy

Hey guys,

I'm in the exact same boat (Samsung Series 7 65 inch TV) however my internet speeds are even better than what you've mentioned. I have Wondercom FTTB and have speeds of 93Mbps on which I'm able to stream 4K Netflix without any issue. However I'm now watching the Everton v Spurs game and the quality is horrendous. I just watched the earlier Leicester v Hull game on SBS HD and it was completely different to this. The quality of that was similar to that of Foxtel HD.

I've also played around with all the display settings and have tried all the different 1080 combinations to no avail. As you mentioned, the ball is pixelated and when the camera is not close up on a player the players are not sharp at all. It looks like a 480p stream on a laptop. Can you please advise why the quality isn't right?

Thanks.

Marie

Hey Yuuy,

Hmm that's certainly unusual.

The stream would be coming through 720p, have you tried adjusting to this?

How are you streaming this to your TV?

Is it via HDMI from a PC or are you using a Yes TV By Fetch device? 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Yuuy

Hi there,

I'm watching through a Yes TV By Fetch (Mini) device. 

I've made changes to the settings through the display options going through all the different 1080p and 1080i variations in frequencies to no avail.

You're saying the stream comes through 720p?! That would make sense why it then looks like it does. I was under the assumption the stream would be 1080p. 720p on a 65" TV doesn't look HD at all which would make sense.

Will the stream ever be as clear as watching HD through a cable? Can you not get it to be as clear as the SBS HD broadcast?

Cheers,

Yuhan

Marie

Thanks Yuuy,

Can't say it will however it's certainly something that's being looked at.

If it ever changes in the future we'll let you know.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Manky

I've just been watching a live game tonight on Chromecast and was very unhappy with the quality, 720p goes a long way to explaining it. I think there is more than that going on though as you should still be able to get a decent looking image at 720p, though 1080p would be better, maybe it's too much compression perhaps or too low a bitrate. I think at the end of the day, Optus just don't have the infrastructure to cope with the load on top of all the their regular internet services.

This is the first live game I've sat down to watch on the big screen, mostly due to the Android App only just being updated to allow casting to Chromecast. As with the previous poster, I'm on 100/40mbs FTTH NBN so speed is certainly not an issue. I also pay for NFL GamePass and the streaming quality on that far exceeds what Optus is offering. Slower or still images are ok, it's as soon as there is any sort of camera motion that the quality starts to be an issue, especially tracking the fast moving ball which becomes greatly out of focus. The picture becomes very grainy/blurry. You can especially see it on the pitch, it becomes a muddle of green.

I also tested the FetchTV Mini a few weeks ago. I returned it within a few days of taking it out of the box. As with the OP, the quality on it is horrible, maybe even worse than what I'm seeing on Chromecast. Also the fact that it doesn't have anywhere near the features of the Optus Sports app is a joke. You can access apps like Netflix and Stan on the device yet you can't even access Optus' own app for watching the one thing you bought the device for.

I was already on a $100 plan so the EPL was included as part of that. I'm glad I didn't sign up for a plan specifically for this and I'm especially glad I'm not paying for this outside of what I was already paying. The quality just isn't up to scratch and I would be asking for a refund if that were the case.

Aman_B

Apologies for the inconvenience caused @Manky. With regards to Chromecast could you please try changing the Video bandwidth to 50hz in the Google Cast app? Let us know if this helps.

Manky

Already had 50hz on.

Aman_B

Thanks for confirming this. Since everything looks fine I'd recommend contacting our EPL faults team on 1800 230 158. 

Antonino

I am also having poor quality issues on my 60" Samsung + Fetch TV mini.

I have 30mbps cable and have no trouble streaming, but the quality is poor.

The movement of the ball is jagged across the screen and is definately not a smooth HD experience.

Having read the previous posts I have also changed my settings dropping it to 720p but it is still very poor.

Not sure what more I can do :/

Highlighted

Marie

Oh no! Really sorry to hear that Antonino Smiley Sad 

Can understand this would be frustrating.

I'd recommend having a chat with our team here to see if they can resolve the issue for you. 

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
51 Kudos
34 Kudos
25 Kudos
15 Kudos
8 Kudos