Searching...

Re: Purchase Fetch TV MINI outright

Whyterider

what exactly do optus yes to offer different to fetch tv? Why should people not buy outright and own the equipment? Seems like another Australian greedy company rip off. Paying monthly for nothing at the end. 

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

@Whyterider

I tend to agree. Particularly as Optus make no mention of this (leasing) upfront. Its not even mentioned in the CIP fine print! You need to find and download the fine, fine print of your contract to see it specifically mentioned.

That said it might pay to double check your bill. I pay $15 per month for the FetchTV box and $15 for the Fetch service. I also get $30 of that credited back each month. That was an earlier plan so I'm not sure its still the practice?

But if customers are paying $15 a month for 24 months (and beyond) for the unit, it should be the customers IMO. 

As for what Optus Fetch offers, I think it adds Optus Sport (and a free Fetch Pack) and possibly the free SD Netflix? There is also the option to buy the Fetch box outright when you leave Optus for $250 (So $150 discount off retail).

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Whyterider

The only difference I am aware of is sport, which I can stream off my mobile anyway. And why should I have to be paying $150 at the end for the box, I've already paid for it over 2 years. If my contract ends, I want to keep what I've paid for. 

Dmo81

What a steal, only $680 Smiley Frustrated

Highlighted

Kitzyy

Hi OP,

Did you manage to find the answer to the question about purchasing outright and using? I also do not want to pay $10 per month either.

petergdownload

You can by them outright on stores like jbhifi for$400. They won't network with Optus boxes and they won't do Optus services like sport. But they are a good FTA PVR, you can add fetch tv subscriptions, Netflix, Stan etc.

Peter Gillespie

[ Edited ]
Prito

Kitzzy - The simple answer is NO- Optus thinks everyone would prefer an indefinite lease for the Mini. 🤷‍♂️

Peter-I think you are referring to the Mighty.

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

@Prito My mistake, $400 is for the Mighty outright. The Mini is $170 - Single tuner and no recording ability but otherwise a good little media player (same restrictions as the mighty in not working with Optus features though).

As I said above, it seem boarding on misleading and deceptive conduct the way Optus charge $360 for a $400 device over a two year contract and then demand it be returned. Optus charge an additional $250 if you don't return it (which seems an unreasonable penalty and I believe they remotely disable it then anyway.)

I think Optus should be making much clearer that potential customers do not get to keep the device they are paying for monthly. Especially in light of the fact that their primary business of selling plans with phones does let the customer keep the equipment they are paying for.

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
47 Kudos
16 Kudos
16 Kudos
11 Kudos
10 Kudos