Searching...

Picture stutter

Red5

The picture shudders when watching World Cup channel particularly when the ball moves quickly across the screen or camera pans quickly. Is there some way to improve this. Is there some way I can improve this? I am watching through Xbox on wi fi. Thanks

Re: Picture stutter

Shauna

Hey @Red5 - I'd recommend logging a case via our Optus Sport in App support team. They'll contact you as soon as possible and work towards having this fixed. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

petergdownload

Its possible this is the best PQ possible. Digital TV handles close up shots very well, but far out panning shots are notorious for turning everything blurry etc.

The first thing you should rule out is if your wifi  is the cause. Can you temporarily connect using a wired option to see?

Also what is you home speeds normally? Can you run a speed test on the XBox or a PC to find out what you are getting.

Finally different TVs and media players handle images differently. Any chance you could swap in a different TV to see if that looks better. Or perhaps play the game on your PC to see if that looks better?

These aren't solutions BTW, just diagnostics to try figure out where the issue is happening.

Peter Gillespie 

Highlighted

DJ_m

It is likely you are watching the best available picture. Optus are on one hand doing a great job in providing a service so us football fans can watch what we want when we want to. Sadly, on the other hand, they are broadcasting in antiquated technology.....720p. It is not even possible to buy a TV today that has 720p resolution. 

Optus will sell you the amazing benefits of the NBN but then broadcast in a format that can easily be streamed by an ADSL2 service. I pull an average 45mbps down at my residence but just watched the Russia game that was using no more than 4mbps. Pathetic.

720p is terrible for soccer. FIFA have broadcasts available right up to UHD 4K. I have a 4k Apple TV,  LG OLED and the NBN and yet the best I can get is a resolution I was getting in from Foxtel in 2008. I've seen what 4k soccer looks like on an LG OLED and it is beautiful.

petergdownload

Optus will sell you the amazing benefits of the NBN but then broadcast in a format that can easily be streamed by an ADSL2 service. 

This was one of the often overlooked benefits of the FTTP (Fibre) rollout of the NBN. A lot of people asked why all houses needed fibre when they wouldn't use the bandwidth but the fact is that suppliers (content and service) will usually aim to cover the lowest common denominator to get the most potential customers. If that means sticking to ADSL speeds even though many homes have access to much better speeds then so be it.

Was a shame.

Peter Gillespie

Dan_C

@Red5, What sort of refresh rate does your TV have? I'm not an expert on the topic, but if you have a TV with a refresh rate of 120hz, there might be a conflict. 

Most sport content is encoded for 50Hz (typically in Europe and Asia). If you’re seeing jitter or stutter issues, that could be the issue.

You could try forcing your Xbox into 50Hz mode.

If you have an Xbox One S or X and your TV supports 120Hz over HDMI, you’ll see this setting under DisplayResolution.

Let us know how it goes. 

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

SillyGogo

Just tested on my Panasonic plasma running at 100hz, looks fine. Prehaps turn off any frame insertion, maybe because the LG is trying to upscaling the 720p signal to 4k with frame inserting. Try out the Game mode if you have it and see if there are any improvement. 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Red5

Thanks.  I have logged my case but am still waiting for a reply.  The only suggestion they provided was to delete and reload the app. This didn't help.  I provided this feedback and am waiting on a reply.

Red5

I ran a cable to my router but made no difference.  My plan is 25mbps.  Speed test was running between 18 and 22mbps. I will see if I can arrange another tv to try. Thanks.

Red5

Thanks.  I watch football on foxtel and SBS HD and the picture is fine. Crisp and clear, no stutter.  

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
48 Kudos
19 Kudos
17 Kudos
15 Kudos
12 Kudos