Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor BazK
New Contributor

Optus sport on chromecast

Hı,

I noticed during the world cup that optus sport on fetch is delayed by about 45 seconds which apparently it needs to decode the stream or whatever. Streaming via the optus sport website it is live but that means I can't use my computer at the same time.

My question is, is there a delay if I bought a chromecast and watched EPL through that instead of the fetch TV box?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Optus sport on chromecast

I'd say yes, there'd still be a delay. The common misconception about chromecast is that you're streaming from your laptop/mobile/device to the chromecast but for the most part, you aren't. Your laptop triggers the chromecast to then connect to the server directly so really it's just a glorified remote.

Long story short, the chromecast would likely do the same thing as your Fetch but maybe one of your friends/family have a chromecast already that you could test on? 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
New Contributor BazK
New Contributor

Unfortunately I don't know anyone with a chromecast so I was hoping someone who did could shed some light on this 

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi there @BazK

@sam Sam is right. There's always going to be a slight delay, no matter which streaming platform you've opted to use. 

During the World Cup broadcast we did have several concurrent streams running in the office. I did notice that Fetch seemed to be impacted the most by the delay. The mobile app and web browser were in front.

I can't speak for Chrome Cast, but it'd say it's a worth a shot! 

--------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor BazK
New Contributor

Thankyou @Dan_C and @SamSam. I used to mirror my phone, both being Samsung which gave me the added benefit of not using my phone while watching games but having switched to iPhone I can no longer do that without apple TV which isn't worth the cost imo. 

Might have to mirror my computer and just not use it during games (again added benefit of focusing on the game) or score a used cheap chromecast just to test it out. 

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

I've seen second Gen Chromecast's on eBay for $22.00 odd dollars. 

I have an Android TV with an in-built Chromecast at home, it works a treat! 

Definitely my fave media streaming device.

--------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos