Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Highlighted
New Contributor Kremer930
New Contributor

Optus customer with Gen2 fetch. Why can’t I buy a fetch Mighty?

I have been a long time Optus Fetch user with a Gen2 device. I recently purchased an Optus mighty box on eBay to use in a second room with the hope of setting up the multi-room capability. 

After speaking with Optus customer service they told me that even though it is an Optus branded mighty box that they cannot provide me an activation code. I even asked even if the original Optus customer deactivated the box could Optus then set it up as a new box to me?  Still could not be done. 

My my questions are; why can I not have a Fetch mighty box work with my Telstra broadband service as my current Optus Gen2 Fetch tv service does and why can I only set up a new Optus mini and not a new mighty?

What does Optus do with returned Fetch Mighty boxes? Surely they reset them to use them again for new customers. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Optus customer with Gen2 fetch. Why can’t I buy a fetch Mighty?

All Optus Fetch boxes are owned by Optus (all sales online of the boxes are illegal - although its possible individuals don't realise they are as Optus don't make it very clear everyone is just leasing their Fetch box)

Optus won't activate what is essentially a stolen Fetch TV box.

I can only suggest you try return it to where you bought it.

On the broader point it is lamentable that Optus Fetch boxes are leased this way and that Optus Fetch boxes are not compatible with retail Fetch boxes ($399).

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor

Thanks Peter. I understand the issue around ownership of the Fetch box. Optus could improve their service and protect their customers by requesting the return of the box and provision of a satchel to do so once subscriptions are terminated. In my case the original owner signed up to Optus but Optus were not able to provide the service and so it was cancelled after approx 3 months. The mighty that I purchased was effectively unused. 

Can this box not be recycled or reused by Optus?  It is not at all environmentally sustainable otherwise. 

Could I ask what is the cause of only being able to use a Fetch mini as my second unit?  Optus said that I could not even purchase or contract a Mighty from them as the second unit due to my internet not being with Optus. My Gen2 box was transferred from my previous Optus NBN account to my Optus mobile phone account when Optus could not provide cable or nbn to my new house. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

You've summarised exactly what Optus do. A courier satchel is sent out and you just have to arrange to have it picked up. The process presumably isn't water tight though.

If you contacted LIVECHAT I suspect they'd be happy to send out a satchel for pickup as they can presumably reset the box at their end. There's currently little use re-cycling in Oz at the moment (as its all going straight to landfill anyway now) but Optus should definitely be able to reuse the box. 

For whatever reason (likely to encourage customers not to leave) Optus have made the business decision to only lease Fetch Mighty boxes and only to houses with a landline internet subscription. The boxes will only work with other Optus boxes. They could definitely do this differently but have decided not to.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
New Contributor

Optus can certainly improve their customer service strategy in this area. The restrictive trade practice being displayed will only annoy customers and reduce their chances of returning. 

I have been a loyal Optus customer for decades and tried my hardest to stay with Optus for my land based internet but,alas, Telstra had the market capability in my instance due to the Foxtel cable network in my new suburb. 

Had Optus done the right thing then it would have been highly probable that once my suburb was fully NBN operational then I would have returned to Optus. This is now very unlikely. It is also more likely that I will also move both of my mobile phones, mobile data and two fetch tv services. 

Optus needs to always look after its clients to the best of its ability. Then it will only be a matter of time until customers realise how good they are; and either stay with Optus or return to Optus. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I agree. I think there are quite a few areas Optus needs to change its approach to its customers. Upper management needs something of a culter change IMO as in too many instances (excess data usage charges ($1500), tough NBN tactics (3 month shut down), penny pinching on NBN bandwidth, facilitating the Premium SMS scam, poor communincation after sales, selling products not fit for purpose (ACCC), no staff accountablity or ownership of issues, protracted contact times and multiple efforts need to fix simple issues etc.) 

Optus is a big and impressive company and once easily wore the mantel of the good guy in second place that provided a solid product for a reasonable price. With the NBN offering high speed internet to everyone now more than ever Optus need to become customer focused - not so they can eek a little more money out of the unfortunate ones but to solve their problems.

Regards

Peter Gillespie