Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Optus TV featuring Foxtel and NBN

I was wondering if someone can help me or at least point me in the right direction.

We got our notice for the NBN coming to our area and for our Optus Internet would be switched off at that point. Home Phone and Internet I’ve got covered with the plan I had switched over to (well renegotiated after being with Optus for 20+ years) so those two won’t be a problem but we also have A separate account for our Pay TV service that includes an iQ box (Optus TV featuring Foxtel) and a separate box (not iQ though) in another room.

My question is what should we do so we keep that service in place? I’ve already got a Fetch box included in my plan, but the two boxes above have different channels that family members want to keep that aren’t available through Fetch etc.

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Optus TV featuring Foxtel and NBN

Optus no longer Foxtel so you will have to get it from either Telstra or Foxtel directly. It will almost certainly be a satellite service not a cable one.

As for existing boxes, Optus will send you a satchel(s) to return them.

Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@YetAnotherAcc covers the Foxtel situation fairly well. You should check out the Foxtel page itself their NBN bundle can be quite good value if you must have Foxtel ($143 a month for everything incl, NBN, Foxtel & Netflix)

https://www.foxtel.com.au/shop/broadband-bundles.html

Not that the NBN means all RSPs are now pretty much equal in providing an internet service so do look around as there are lots of good options (Optus being one of them).

The Fetch boxes can be replaced with ones that you own for $299 direct from FetchTV. Depending on your needs a lot of people replace Foxtel with FTA, Fetch, Kayo, Chromecast, Netflix, Amazon, Hulu combo of some sort.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fetch-Mighty-PVR-Set-Top-Box-Recorder-4K-HD-M616T/312516775109?
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for the information much appreciated - I spoke to someone at Optus and looked at the Foxtel deals so will be taking up the iQ box options at this stage with Foxtel but keep my NBN with Optus.

One quick question I had before I switched over is, we've got an IQ box (with HD) downstairs. We know we have to send the boxes back to Optus, but since it still has unwatched content on the IQ box - can we keep that until we have watched the content and then send it back to Optus (since we technically don't need a connection to watch that as it is on the box).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Optus will likely deactivate the box remotely when you cancel the service. You could just unplug it from the internet to forestall that. Its not a certainty though so fair chance you can finish off your shows before returning it.

You're free to go wherever you want but do take a look ate the Foxtel NBN/IQ bundle deals. These seems like a pretty good price compared to separate IQ and NBN deals.