Searching...
Highlighted

Optus Sport not working on ATV4

P3t3

Hi,

I've been using Optus Sport on my ATV4 since the very beginning. Like everyone else, the performance hasn't always been good but that's mainly due to my hopeless Optus Broadband Cable connection which is meant to run at 100Mbps but actually runs at about 5Mbps most evenings when I want to watch TV. I've complained about this but apparently it's congestion and there is no fix planned. I've been told it will be better when NBN arrives. Which seems like never where I live.

But that's not the issue.

The problem I am posting about is that Optus Sport stopped working last weekend. The app loads fine and I can scroll through all the programs but as soon as I select to run any program, even short 3 minute highlights of the EPL, I just get a black screen with the spinning wheel. There is no error message, no time-out, it just spins until the screensaver kicks in. If I dismiss the screensaver, I just get the spinning wheel again until the screensaver kicks back in again.

I deleted the Optus Sport app from my ATV4 and re-downloaded it from the store and logged back in but this didn't help at all.

All other apps that I use on my ATV4 work fine, e.g. TV, ABC iView, Netflix, etc.

What gives? Why doesn't Optus Sport work any more?

Re: Optus Sport not working on ATV4

Ev_

Hey @P3t3 - if you can log a fault through the Optus Sport app's Help & Support function, our TV & Content team will be able to take a closer look into this and provide more insight. You can also find our troubleshooting guide here.

P3t3

Hi there,

Thanks for your response.

I've worked through the troubleshooting guide but it didn't solve the problem. I am not at home right now so I can't use the Help & Support function but when I looked there last night (on the Apple TV4), it looked like there was nothing other than a message suggestion that support be contacted online (i.e. not via the ATV4). Did I miss something?

Regards,

Pete.

Dan_C

Heya Pete, can you send us a PM with your details?

I need your full name, DOB, account number and the email address you've registered for Optus Sport.

I'll send your details through to our TV & Content team and we'll see if they can offer any suggestions. 

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

***Please note I am not currently with the Yes Crowd team.***

This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

P3t3

Hi Dan,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you - I've had a terribly busy week!

The problem appears to be solved. I persisted last night with waiting for something to happen after trying to run an Optus Sport program and I eventually got this error message:

• "This video can't be played. It looks like your HDMI cable or connection doesn't support HDCP, which is required to play this type of video. Try reconnecting the HDMI cable from Apple TV to your TV and play this video again".

I did some Googling for this error and found a bunch of Apple support articles with various recommendations, e.g. detach/re-attach the HDMI cable after powering down the system, check if receiver supports HDCP (it did), change specific ATV4 settings (e.g. turn off quick start), etc. I tried them all to no avail. And the weird thing was that I could still watch ABC iView and other TV shows through the ATV4, just not Optus Sport.

However there were a few other curious things happening recently such as occasional sound clipping during playback of programs, the volume control on the Apple remote not always working etc.

So as a last resort before performing a full reset on the ATV4 this afternoon I tried swapping out the HDMI cable and VOILA!

The ATV4 was able to play Optus Sport programs again, the volume control on the remote started working consistently and the sound clipping stopped. I put the swapped out HDMI cable on my Bluray player and there was no image on the TV, so that cable must have gone faulty. It's now in the  bin!

So apologies for taking your time and thanks for your responses. I hope the above info helps others who may see intermittant problems with their ATV4. Try changing the HDMI cable first!

Regards,

Peter.

Aman_B

Hi  Pete - Thanks for letting us know and glad its all sorted. Yes, HDMI cables can be like that sometime. Let us know if we can help with anything else. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
47 Kudos
17 Kudos
16 Kudos
11 Kudos
11 Kudos