Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
DaniPhillips
New Contributor
New Contributor

Optus Sport free subscription has been removed

I went from prepaid to post paid earlier this year in order to take advantage of the free Optus Sport subscription.  I just found out I have to now paid $14.99 a-month if I want to continue using it.  I was not forewarned and I've been told that I have to upgrade my postpaid plan in order to keep the free Optus Sport subscription.  I barely use the data I already get every month so I don't see why I should pay $10 more in order to keep something which was free in the first place.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Optus Sport free subscription has been removed

Optus don't need to tell you about future possible charges. Just what it will cost for you to get under your current contract. Now that appears to have run out they're telling you about your new options.

FWIW its likely you're paying quite a bit more for mobile use than you need to.

1) What rough data a month do you need?
2) Do you need anything other than calls, data and Optus sport?
3) How much are you paying now for how much data? (not including $15 for Optus Sport)
0 Kudos
DaniPhillips
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for responding. My post paid plan OPTUS CHOICE SMALL, is $39 for 10 gb/mth with unlimited calls and texts. I'm lucky to use. During the lockdown I'm hardly using the data. Previously, I always had at least 7 gbs left at the end of month. What I would like to be able to do for the same money, or less is to make standard international calls.
0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi @DaniPhillips ,

The post paid plans are great for people that need lots of data but really badly priced for low data users. What countries do you need to call overseas?

Seems some of the better deals have been rejigged lately. I can see 20Gb a month for $25 (with pretty much unlimited calls most countries). Dropping below $25 tends to see overseas calls cut down, depends where you want to call?

0 Kudos
DaniPhillips
New Contributor
New Contributor

20 gbs/mth for $25 sounds perfect for me but I bet it doesn't cover Europe.  Italy is the country I would mostly call.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

It does come down to the country.

You could go the Aldi Mobile service. $25 a month with all the usual trimmings and 100 minutes a month free calls to Italy. Enough? The nice thing about Aldi is they have unlimited rollover of data So your 18Gb a month just keeps stacking up.

https://www.aldimobile.com.au/m3/docs/unlimited_and_included_international_minutes.pdf

TPG seems to have a similar deal - only $20 a month for 30Gb (no rollover) and 100 minutes of calls to Italy - do confirm that though

https://www.tpg.com.au/mobile#international-call-rates-mobile_

The only other deal I saw was TeleChoice. The Prepay and Save 7 month deal for $15 a month gives you 4.5Gb (rolls over if unused). You'd add the $15 international call pack (all countries) which gives about 4 hours talk time to Italy a month. But that's $30 all up.

https://www.telechoice.com.au/sim-plans
0 Kudos
DaniPhillips
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks PeterG!  You've done my homework for me.  I was hoping Optus would come to the party.

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

No probs. I often find out stuff I never new (like Italy seems to have dropped of the international call map) looking up questions. I did try find an Optus solution but these days you're better being nibble than staying put. Good Luck.
0 Kudos
Top Contributors