cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor twowaytrans
Occasional Contributor

Optus Sport Query - what is the highest quality platform for viewing?

G’day, 

been watching the EPL for a while now on Optus Sport and suffering with the refresh rate that the image has through my Apple TV 3rd gen (airplay). Just wondering what other options there are for improving quality without paying for satellite?

frustrating when you watch SBS HD or Foxtel HD and the image is not only crystal clear but the frame rate higher. 

Is the Fetch box, or a native app on Apple TV 4th gen any better in this regard? 

It it would be helpful if somebody from Optus could disclose the format and quality of the stream of each device (ie resolution, refresh rate, etc) 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RetiredModerator Toomey
RetiredModerator

Re: Optus Sport Query - what is the highest quality platform for viewing?

The stream would be the same regardless of your device, but I know that if you're using the Optus Sport app on Apple TV you can modify the refresh rate for improvement, this is also possible for Fetch services. I'm not sure if it's possible via AirPlay though sorry.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Do you have a PC connected via CAT5 to see if the image is ok there?

Is the ATV wired?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

This isn’t a problem with the connection quality but rather with the refresh rate of the content. 

FWIW I don’t have a PC and and the Apple TV isn’t wired. I’m using airplay from iPad or iPhone. 

I understand the drop in resolution that occurs due to connection, but I’m more concerned about why when I watch the app through an iPad the frame rate is much greater and the action smoother - in comparison to my plasma television. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

So what is the magic fix for refresh rate settings? 

Have tried switching between 50 and 60hz. 

When i I watch on iPad the action is flawless and smooth like watching cable television. 

When i watch SBS HD on my Plasma television the action is flawless and smooth. 

When I watch Foxtel HD on my Plasma television the action is flawless and smooth. 

When I watch streaming services through native apps on my Apple TV (Netflix, Stan) the action is flawless and smooth. 

When I airplay the Optus app from my iPhone or IPad the action is juttery and lacking frames. 

What hat I am asking is which delivery platform provides the best quality stream? Evidently the IPad looks great so there is a good original stream that is being lost in transmission. I believe airplay to be the issue. So will I see an improvement from a Gen 4 Apple TV using the native app? Will a Fetch box be any different? 

0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

I'd have to disagree with @Toomey on this one. I have watched games via my Fetch Mighty (supplied by Optus) and via Chromecast both at home at the frame rate was far superior on the Fetch box. I actually couldn't fault the Fetch stream at all, no buffering, crystal clear picture and very, very smooth player/ball movement. 

The chromecast on the other hand constantly saw me losing the ball when panning across the screen. I suspect this is why Optus is giving away Fetch boxes at the moment. 

Not saying Toomey is lying at all, just that real world experience is different for me to compared to what the spec sheets say. I also understand I'm 1 person of hundreds of thousands of subscribers so my experience hardly represents the masses

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

The issue is possibly (probably) not related to the refresh settings. 

FWIW FTA TV is a completely different delivery mechanishm so not comparable to streaming from Optus. Similarly Foxtel and Netflix have very different setups.

I agree with your the airplay does seem to be the part failing. The issue here is that the data stream is not the same as it is being recieved to the iPad (and is perfect) but then transmitted and translated via Apple AirPlay to the TV. 

I would suggest you get a Fetch Mini from Optus. The cost $10? a month and if it doesn't work you can return it and stop paying. 

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

@SamSam, the real word experience does often differ to the specs & capabilities outlined on paper. I'm far from an expert on the topic, in-fact I probably have to do a bit of a read up on the ins and outs of content delivery networks/methods as well the partners that help us. 

The chromecast on the other hand constantly saw me losing the ball when panning across the screen. I suspect this is why Optus is giving away Fetch boxes at the moment. 

We've had bit of mixed feedback when it comes to casting. The issue you've mentioned has come up a quite a bit. We have a Fetch set top box set up at work and we've never encountered an issue. 

It might be worth a shot @twowaytrans. 

--------------------------------------------------------------
We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors