Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Mobile Outage Northern NSW has now been resolved 2PM AEDT
New Contributor danielt34
New Contributor

Optus Sport HD/4K stream

When will Optus Sport bring in full HD 1080/60fps or 4K for Optus sport? Currently I can find pirated live streams that offer this - how is a legal, fully licensed operator, with their own network, unable to offer this level of quality? I have 50mb/s NBN FTTB, with the Optus premium router, using ethernet and I still am often plagued by low quality buffering segments. Even at it's best quality it lags well behind the illegal online streams that are easily found.

I don't think paying the premium for Optus to get sport of this quality is worthwhile, and it seems better to swap for an alternate cheaper provider and turn to less legitimate, higher quality streams.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Optus Sport HD/4K stream

Hi @danielt34,

Currently, incoming Optus Sport feeds are received in 720p. Fetch’s recent adoption of the latest compression technology has allowed them to upscale our 6 Optus Sport channels from 720p to 1080p (full HD) without impacting bandwidth requirements. 

This is something that's available across Fetch Gen3 Mighty and Mini only. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
New Contributor danielt34
New Contributor

Re: Optus Sport HD/4K stream

Thanks for the reply @Dan_C  - What is the limitation to offering full HD/60FPS/4K from Optus's perspective? It doesn't seem like it's my download speed if I'm able to watch 1080p streams online - does Optus not have the rights, or has it not invested in the server capability to allow for this?

0 Kudos
Top Contributors