Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Nickatowski
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Optus Sport 4k NBN

I think their main reason is the NBN being "unable to handle the bandwidth required"
Even though at most a 4K stream requires 50mbps...
My favourite part is how the NBN have fired back with fttp now able to receive 1000mbps speeds now with the new plans available.

I'd pay $30-$40 a month to subscribe to their 4k service for the ease of use. Instead I'm using a work around to access BT Sport and I'm now getting select EPL, Bundesliga. Every FA cup match, Every Champions League Match and Every Europa League match in 4K HDR....

Optus telling us the NBN can't handle the bandwidth... IT'S ABLE TO DO IT IN A HIGHER QUALITY THROUGH A VPN.
Oh and for a total cost of $100 per year. For more content at a higher quality... Seriously Optus?

The 5G home broadband service is available in my area and I have tried and tested it. Dreadful, dreadful ping for gaming so not for me.
The idea of paying $95 for a service ($70 for the internet and $25 for the fetch mighty) just to access select games of CL and EPL is nothing short of a joke.

Seriously Optus read this post and tell me I should subscribe to your service.
Nickatowski
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

2 weeks out from the season opener and no word on 4k as promised yet.
Floptus flopping again!
0 Kudos
4koled
New Contributor
New Contributor

This is a critical enquiry:

When will optus be streaming the EPL in 4k? The season starts in 7 hours.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

"When will optus be streaming the EPL in 4k?"

I believe 4K streaming is via a Optus 5G service only. Do you have OPtus 5G @4koled
0 Kudos
Nickatowski
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I think it's more the lack of public announcements that's annoyed both 4koled and me. As he said, the season is mere hours away and it's more of an Easter egg hunt than a public announcement. "Will there be 4k? Tune in to find out"
0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

"Will there be 4k? Tune in to find out"

Optus aren't capable of streaming 4K over the NBN. They have the exclusive rights to the 4K Olympic stream and you can bet they'd be trying to sell that to every man and his dog if they could (covid aside). However like all other 4K content it will be limited to a very few 5G mobile customers.

So I'm sorry but the answer to the question is that no, there will be no 4K stream for NBN customers.
0 Kudos
Oday
New Contributor
New Contributor

I watched EPL in 4k two years ago using FUBOTV and it was fantastic, the NBN can handle this load especially when the games are most off peak times when nobody is using the internet.

If that is not an option, put it on satellite and i am happy to pay extra to get it but say nothing about it and swipe it under the carpet when UK and middle east are doing 4k HDR for every single game is not fair for us.

and 5G is a joke, i live in Canberra and my 4G is one bar in half the house and no signal in the other and i relay on wifi calling to make calls, so i am not holding my breath that Optus will deliver 5G to my area as it failed the 4G for 11 years. BTW Telstra Vodafone sucks the same at my address 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors