Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
New Contributor
New Contributor

Optus Sport 4k NBN

Hi,

Im aware that Optus has recently announced they'll be broadcasting the 2020 Olympics, Euro 2020 and the 20/21 EPL season in 4K.

Ive seen ALOT of mention about being exclusively available to 5G home broadband customers.

NBN has recently become active at my address and I'm looking at my options. 2 questions.

A) is there scope for the 4K content to be available to NBN customers (I'll be going for the 100mbps plan) Most UHD live streaming services recommend between 25-40mbps minimum. I can't see how this would be an issue for NBN customers.

B) will this be available to Optus 5G mobile customers?

Could someone please OFFICIALLY clarify this. I'm sure I'm not the only person wondering...
7 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Optus Sport 4k NBN

I can't officially clarify it but I can say with certainty the 4K broadcasts will definitely be over 5G only (Optus have stated this from the outset).

This is due to technical reasons rather than any marketing etc. (I'm sure Optus would love to stream to the 90% of Australians with access to the NBN rather than the 5% (optimistic) of Australian homes with access to 5G.

Attempting to live stream 4K video over the NBN (to so many homes simultaneously) would be unfeasible with the mix of technologies and underlying protocols. Perhaps if we'd gone FTTP as originally planned we might have had a shot :o(

Optus have also said it will only be Home 5G broadband customers (so no mobile) - I'm not so sure of the reason for that though. Perhaps because Optus knows the phone will be switching in and out of 4G/5G mode as the owner moves around they just can't provide a good 5G service. As it is even the Home Broadband 5G offering is still struggling to get a solid stable footprint.

Anyway, no doubt official confirmation (or denunciation) will be along soon.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

It's a mess mate.

Just got off an online chat and the rep Assured me that as long as I have a Fetch Mighty I will have access to the 4K content...

But I'm with you. The media release repeats, "exclusively available to 5G home broadband customers".

I am utterly confused! Clarification is very much needed.

I can't see how they'll differentiate between who's using their fetch mighty with a 5g home broadband connection and who's using it via an NBN connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Its not a technical issue, its a cost issue (CVC from NBN).
Netflix only needs 12-15Mbit now for 4k - bringing it way under the min of 25Mbit for NBN.
Certain sites have already ripped the 5g home only 5g excuse apart so wont go into that here.

Great way to alienate customers thats for sure, guess they will find other ways to watch.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Seems like a marketing ploy to get as many people onto 5G as possible!

I've already trialled the 5G in my home. Although the download speeds were hovering around the 470mbps mark. The upload was in the 30s and the latency was worse than being on adsl1. Couldn't switch back to my cable connection fast enough.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

"Just got off an online chat and the rep Assured me that as long as I have a Fetch Mighty I will have access to the 4K content..."

That’s is unfortunate and emblematic of a lot of Optus Customer Service. They want to help but if you call three times you can often get three different answers. In this case the agent is probably confusing the fact that the Mighty already does 4K content (aka Netflix). That and the fact Optus have said the Mighty will be the only device you can watch the Olympics in 4K in Australia via Optus. They’ve just not added in the 5G limitation.

"I can't see how they'll differentiate between who's using their fetch mighty with a 5g home broadband"

The content stream simply won't be broadcast / available over the NBN network. Optus fully owns its 5G network and controls all content that goes out over that data stream. I don't know but I also suspect the 4K Olympics will be via the Optus Sports app on the Fetch so that will also control what channels you see or don't see.

The mods here are good with chasing down correct official information so you should get an answer soonish.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

"Its not a technical issue, its a cost issue (CVC from NBN)"

No its a technical one. The cost of CVC is in itself related to technical limitations on the network (it simply can't handle too many people simultaneously viewing different 4K streams at once).

I believe the technology built into the 5G is essentially to allow one to many broadcasting. So instead of a few thousand households all watching a unique 15Mbit 4K stream on the NBN they can all latch onto a single 4K stream massively reducing data needed. 

If you think about it logically everyone involved would like to see the NBN used to broadcast 4K Olympics (NBNCo, Telco, Any broadcaster, Customers, Fetch, The Olympic rights holders etc.). But I think they've all agreed (except us) that reliable 4K transmission from Japan is just not possible unless its over 5G. Telstra has obviously decided to pass but Optus is big on 'sports' and presumably got the 4K rights for not too much outlay. It will definitely drive interest in their 5G network but IMO its just as likely to backfire when 95% of those interested are told they can't have it even if they wanted to. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

NBN has had multicast capability for several years.
Its not a technical limitation.

I am sure their are hundreds of thousands of people watching 4k streaming content in their homes each night.

CVC is an artificial construct purely for revenue making (go look at the superior network/billing model used in NZ's fibre rollout).
CVC is not last mile so cant blame the technology, its POP based.

Purely a financial issue and not a technological one.

Their is no 5g link from Japan to Aus to deliver 4k, its fibre so cant make that argument. Only need a single link from the source to local CDN's so its n ot international transit issue.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos