cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
pjetson
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Optus NBN and Fetchtv Mighty at home, what can I do for my holiday house?

I have Optus NBN and a Fetchtv Mighty at home.  Can I take the Fetchtv box with me to a holiday house and use it on an NBN connection from another company?

Or, can I get a Fetchtv Mini from Optus and use it at the holiday house?  I understand it costs $5 per month to add a Mini to my account.  Will I be able to watch all the Fetchtv channels that I have at home?

10 Replies
Serena_YC

Re: Optus NBN and Fetchtv Mighty at home, what can I do for my holiday house?

Hi @pjetson

That's an interesting question you have raised there. 

From my understanding, the Fetch Mighty box should work at your holiday house as long as your NBN service with us remains active and the internet connection at your holiday home is adequate to support Fetch use since it requires an active fixed broadband internet connection with a download speed of at least 3.5 Mbps and a widescreen format TV. 

That being said, I have reached out to our internal teams on this for confirmation and will keep you posted here once I hear back. 🙂 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

The Fetch isn't tied to your Optus home NBN. So yes it will work on other NBN providers and in other houses (so long as the Optus.

If you have two units in the same house (any house) then your Fetch Channels you've subscribed to via the Fetch unit will be available to them both. However if you separate the units (Mighty at home Fetch at holiday) then they will both still work but you will only have the Fetch Channels on one (i.e. have to subscribe a second time for the second unit)

If you think about it that makes sense as otherwise you could by 10 Fetch minis and set up a family link with a single Fetch Channel Subscription and then sell/give those 10 Fetch minis to other people who would then have access to Fetch for free.

So the short of it is Fetch units can operate in any house but must be together to share subscription channels.

I assume you're with Launtel at the holiday home?

If you like Fetch (and its a good box IMO) then I also suggest you consider buying some outright from Fetch themselves on eBay ($300 Mighty, $130 Mini). The advantage being you own these and can use them forever with any RSP. The Optus units are leased so you have to give them back eventually. Note you can't mix and match where subscriptions (including the free subscription if you have it) are concerned so both units should be Optus or both Fetch.

All that said, companies and tech can sometimes be pretty dumb. Maybe someone else with two Fetch units could run an experiment.

1) Have a mighty and mini in family share mode
2) Turn off the Mighty
3) Does the Mini still stream a subscription?
4) Take the mini to a friends house
5) Does the mini still work
6) Does the mini still stream a subscription?

I'm getting a mini on Thursday so I'll give it a try myself if you want to check back later.
pjetson
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I assume you're with Launtel at the holiday home?

Good guess!

Peter

pjetson
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

So, I took my Fetch Mighty down to my holiday house, and connected it up, but I can't get any of the Fetch channels - I just get a blank screen and a "streaming issue" message.

When I go to the Network Settings screen, everything has a tick.  However, when I go to the Diagnostics screen, the Internet setting shows "Completed" but the Streamed TV setting shows "Failed".

I should point out that I'm currently running on an Optus 4G connection with an Optus E5186 modem, currently measuring 43/6Mbps. When I got here, my Launtel connection wasn't working - it appears that there's a break in the copper line on my FTTN connection, and the holidays means Vocus won't look at it until tomorrow, and then NBN will likely need a few more days to send someone out, sigh.

Interestingly, I *can* watch the Fetch TV channels on my Android tablet connected via WiFi to the same 4G modem.  It seems like there's something in the Fetch Mighty that's blocking the connection.

0 Kudos
pjetson
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Optus NBN andu Fetchtv Mighty at home, what can I do for my holiday house?

Upon reading more posts in this forum, it appears that the Optus Fetch TV Mighty does indeed have an Optus 4G block built-in.  I guess I have to wait for my NBN to be fixed.

Tina_YC

Heya @pjetson, thanks for getting back to us with an update. As mentioned earlier, Fetch Requires a Home Broadband service with 3.5Mbps download speed or higher (can be with any provider). Therefore, it is best to wait for your NBN to be fixed and then try again. 

If you run into any other issues, please let us know 🙂 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
pjetson
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi, Tina.  The problem isn't the download speed, I'm getting over 40Mbs.  The problem seems to be that the Fetch TV Mighty box actually blocks operation on Optus 4G.

0 Kudos
Tina_YC

Hmm, good point! The Fetch page states the following "To access the Fetch and Fetch HD services you will require a Fixed Line ADSL2+ service, HFC (cable) broadband, or NBN with a minimum speed of 3Mbps".

0 Kudos
pjetson
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Final update: The good news is that my NBN is fixed, and my Fetch Mighty box is now working on all Fetch channels!

The bad news is that the reason my Launtel FTTN NBN connection was down is that while it was paused for the last month or so, the copper cable between my local FTTN node and my house was regarded as unused and was reallocated to someone else.  The NBN guy says there are now only two spare pairs left in the cable, so there's a good chance that when I pause it again, I may not be able to reconnect at all.