Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor DawMatt
Occasional Contributor

Re: Optus Fetch Box Black Screen

Hi,

It appears this issue might have been solved for me!

About 24 hours after spending time on the phone with Optus Fetch TV support, discussing this previously "unknown issue", we had a firmware update pushed to our Fetch TV box. I wasn't home at the time but my wife reported she didn't have an option to defer the update and had to apply it immediately.

The Fetch TV now has software update "2.15 Alpine" installed. I just checked and after 9 hours of disuse the Fetch TV came back to life without the black screen issue. The first thing I noticed was that the sound came back immediately on the active free-to-air channel though it did take a little longer for the screen to start showing the picture (maybe 5 seconds?) which was a little worrying the first time.

I'll keep an eye on it for a couple more days before I declare this issue resolved but the initial signs are good. This issue sometimes occurred in as little as an hour so  9 hours is a definite improvement.

Not sure if this firmware was pushed to me early because of my problem report, or whether this is a coincidentally timed wider release. Check for updates on your device if you experience this issue and haven't seen the update yet. If no updates are available then consider contacting Optus Fetch TV support to see whether the update them mysteriously appears.

Thanks, Matt

Highlighted
New Contributor camerono
New Contributor

My issue was also solved by the latest update which I received on 26-July.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor kned
New Contributor

Dear Matt

Today,  4 November 2017 I bought a SONY Bravia KDL-32W66OE to replace a Panasonic that gave up the ghost. A Panasonic tho' that had always worked well off our OPTUS Fetch set top box. Flawless function. On occasion I'd used a Palsonic too without any qualm. 

I purposely ignored all TV offerings with HDD as I was quite content with my Optus Yes TV Fetch set top box.

So I know my HDMI Cables are not the problem. 

I suspect the problem lies with FreeView SONY's spruiking , purposefully blocking Yes TV?? 

Could this be the case? If so, I am extremely peeved, as the salesman (JB HiFi) was told that we did NOT want a TV with a recording capability, as I was more than satisfied with Fetch TV.

Bloody annoying! 

Does anyone have advice? 

Please.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor jk1234
New Contributor

Hi - reviving this thread hopefully...

I have an Optus Fetch mighty. Getting random black screen issue where there is no picture or sound but the Fetch Menu overlay still works.

Fetch firmware - 2.19

Plugged directly into TV via HDMI - (Model TCL-U55E5800FS)

I have looked through all information on Whirlpool forum but no solution? - http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2619375

How can i fix this?. This is an unacceptable bug that you must fix! It is fundamental to your product operating as designed.

Thank You
0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator Shauna
RetiredModerator

Hey @jk1234 - Thanks for getting in touch with us. I'd recommend raising this with our Fetch Faults team here. They'll contact you and work towards a resolution. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I'm sure that is the recommended approach to resolving this type of issues, but it doesn't work. 

My black screen issue went from extremely regular to occassional some time ago, after a firmware update, but it was never fixed. I still need to reboot my fetch at least once a week (usually more) because it doesn't come back after I turn my TV off (but not Fetch TV) for an extended period of time.

@jk1234 , by all means try lodging a ticket but don't get your hopes up about a resolution.

Thanks, Matt

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor DearCreature
New Contributor

I want to check if this has been forced for everyone with the HDMI issue? With no changes to the TV and the fetch box, the box has gone through 4 of my HDMI cords. Pretty expensive habit of this keeps going. We will change the cord and it will work for a couple of months before it stops working and then it won't connect. I use the cords after for my laptops and computers and they work fine so it has to be the box issue.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Swapping out HDMI cords didn't fix my issue previously. Will have to try again though.

At the moment I need to hard power off my Fetch daily, and once I even had to power off twice in one hour,  Ridiculous. A known issue that has been plaguing the devices for years and they still can't be bothered resolving it. Extremely frustrating. I've even toyed with the idea of putting the Fetch on a power point timer to automatically power cycle it each day.

Thanks, Matt

0 Kudos