Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Optus Fetch Box Black Screen

So out of nowhere we've started getting a blank screen when watching Fetch.  At first we thought it was our TV dying but when we switch to normal tv or playing on xbox it's fine so definately a Fetch problem.

We can be watching a show and it's like the tv has been turned off - just a blank screen.  It's an intermitant problem, can go hours or days without an issue.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
27 Replies
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Optus Fetch Box Black Screen

Which Fetch TV box do you have? I just got the Mighty and am having issues with the screen going blank intermittently. Strangely I can still access the menu, can you do this? To fix the issue I need to either do a reset or pull the power cable out. Just turning it off and on won't work. 

The other weird thing is that it's not just the video and audio from free to air tv but also any prerecorded videos. Not to mention despite the screen being blank with no audio and video if I record something from the tv guide at this time it plays back normally once I've reset the device. 

Have you noticed any of these odd things happening?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hi @Scruff - Are you experiencing this issue with just our entertainment channels or the free to air channels as well? If you're experiencing issues when you're just trying to watch our entertainment channels it may come down to your internet connection. If it only happens when you're trying to watch free to air channels it could be an antenna problem (Which can be fixed by pulling our the antenna cable and putting it back in again). If you're experiencing this issue with all channels it sounds like an issue with your set top box. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi

i have been experiencing the same problem with all channels.

The set top box works fine when first connected then once the TV has been switched off and switched on after a while, a blank screen appears or the image appears for a few seconds then disappears.

The only way is to reboot for the system to normalise.

The TV is operating for other HDMI ports and standard stations.

All cables have been checked, hard and soft reboots completed and replaced the Fetch box!!

Internet connection is working

Spoke to support a number of times.

I'm running out of solutions 

Hope you can help 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

If all other troubleshooting steps have been exhausted then it might be time to organise a replacement box. Our Yes TV by Fetch tech team should be able to get that done for you on 133937 (options 4, 2, 2)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi

thanks for the feedback 

as mentioned the last action was a replacement box without success.

Can a technician inspect the setup at home for a resolution?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

If your internet connection is fine to other devices within the house then a tech will not be sent out. The Yes TV by Fetch box is designed to be a plug and play box and not much can be done at the premises. It just requires power, antenna connection and internet connection. If all resets have been performed and internet inside the house is fine then a replacement is usually arranged. It's unfortunate if you've received two faulty boxes in a row. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hey @Cleab,

I worked out my issue was the HDMI input to my TV. I had it in the 4K@60Hz input and once I moved it to the MHL or ARC HDMI inputs it worked fine. Maybe try a different input.

Hope that helps.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@MLO

yes perfect.

After numerous alternatives to try to make this work, this was the last option and it worked.

However this seems like a straightforward  action that needs to be documented by Optus when instructing users. 

As with many things once you have the knowledge the result seems obvious and easy.

Optus take note. Rather than reading out the script for solutions, try thinking laterally.

MLO champion thanks again 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

@Cleab

You're very welcome. You probably noticed I didn't even get a response when I asked the question, I had to work it out for myself. So I am very happy to help and save someone that frustration. 

0 Kudos